• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Help with knowing what these computer chips are?

Dawgchyper91

Hello to all!

I ran across these in a big lot of computer items that I came across, and it came with the heathkit computer and Im not exactly sure what they are meant to do?

There are 24 chips total, and they all are in this anti static tube.

1 chip that is different from the others read:

M3764-20RS
OKI
Japan 42149

And the rest of the 23 chips read:

Japan 8520
HM4864P-2
U0002RP

If anyone could give me any insight of what these chips are used for please let me know. Im not an expert on certain chips, but maybe someone could tell me?

I do however have pictures of these on my photobucket acct.

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h343/dawgchyper91/Chip/

And honestly if anyone is intereted in them, and they have value to somebody, then please make an offer if you like. And again they have been sitting in the anti static tube, for I dont know how long!

Thank you :)

They're both 64Kx1bit DRAM chips; very common in PCs from the 256K 5150 onwards. There must be millions of them still around. A more conventional (US) number for the same device is 4164.

They are found in commodore 64's and 128s also.

And the Apple IIe, and the IBM PC, and the original Macintosh, and the Apple Lisa, and pretty much every other computer from that era. Very useful to have on hand... and very common.

Note that 41256's are a drop-in replacement - you can plug a 41256 into a socket meant for a 4164 and it'll work as a 4164. The only difference is pin 1, which is the extra address line for the larger chip, and is unused on the smaller one.

-Ian

I've had issues subbing 41256s for 4164s in c64s. On some units they work great, and others not at all.

I currently have plenty of 41256s but I'm running low on 4164s.

Later,
dabone

Back