• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hewlett Packard HP-85 BASIC Computer

ipscone

This is one of my favorite BASIC computers. It is compact and has a built-in CRT, printer and tape drive.

<-- Click image for more photos

The downside to these is that the tape drive is almost always defective. The rubber wheel that is shown in one of the photos dissolves over time and renders the tape drive useless. However, it is repairable which then makes getting the tapes your next problem.

These computers use a special DC100a tape that is very hard to find. Original old tapes are very unreliable.

I've got one almost exactly like this in my collection but the tape roller is rotted and gummy. Unfortunately I damaged a tape finding that out. :?

I'm still hoping to pull it apart and fix that tape drive someday, though. I've got at least 40 tapes that came with the machine and I'd love to explore what's on them.

Erik

I bet 39 of them don't work.

Apparently, one can post without registering. If you want to have a verified system, you need to fix that. I made the post above, without loggin in. Can you delete it?

Here are some photos of capstan
<-- Click image for more photos

It looks like you are cutting up rubber tubing to create the new capstain surface.

Where are you getting the appropriate tubing? Is it pure rubber or reinforced in any way?

Erik

Rubber Tubing fix for DC100-style drives

Rubber Tubing fix for DC100-style drives

I can't speak to the HP85A, but I have used 1/2" tygon tubing from the local hardware store (think "large aquarium hose") to refurb DEC TU58 drives (same tapes, same capstan, same melting problem).

I got a foot of it a few years ago and have yet to run out (even though between HP line analyers, VAXen, and a VT103, I have nearly a dozen drives to overhaul).

-ethan

Back