• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hey I'm Ozfer

Ozfer

Experienced Member
Hey guys I didn't get a chance to introduce myself the other day but I am Ryan and known online as Ozfer. I came here the other day because of my recent acquisition of an old IBM 5150 PC I needed some help with. I have been into vintage computing and electronics for many years but I am newer enthusiast.

I am into any type of electronics, computers, and gaming systems. I program in java, and flash, can webdesign, run servers, and am good in CAD and Photoshop but I prefer working with electronics hardware over software. I am always up to a electronics challenge and love to try to figure things out and learn about technology and I am currently learning electrical engineering.

Right now I don't have the biggest collection of vintage computers (maybe you guys can help with that :p) but I do have a Macintosh Second Edition, and a IBM 5150. I do have a larger collection of vintage to modern gaming systems. Currently in my collection I have a Atari 2600, NES, SNES, N64, GC, WII, PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox, 360, SMS, Genesis, Saturn, DC, Nomad, GB, GBC, GBA, GBSP, DS, DSL, DSI, 3DS, Wonderswan color, NGPC, NGX, and probably more I am forgetting. I am looking forward to collecting more Commodore and Amiga type of computers in the future.

I know a lot about computers and software and can help troubleshoot many issues and brainstorm solutions. I am also seeking knowledge from others because I don't know everything especially when it comes to vintage computing. I am hoping to be able to attend VCF East 9.1 in the spring.

If there is anything I can do for you guys send me a message. From time to time I might have some stuff I can trade or sell and I am actively looking for stuff to collect myself.

Welcome to the vastly space-occupying hobby of vintage computing!

A very good start with the 5150 and Mac SE. I lean mainly toward Apple and IBM gear, hence my avatar :)

Welcome to the forums :) Had to google the Wonderswan.. interesting lol. You'll enjoy that blend of the personal computer and gaming I think. It's a blurry line in technology when your gaming system gets a keyboard too. Commodore is certainly an easy one to get into for that. Even the Atari 400/800/1200 series I'm not sure how much work you'd really want to do on the system but it's a nice gaming rig. They aren't as common in the US but the MSX is also an interesting platform in computing/gaming and hardware standardization. The first Metal Gear game was actually made for MSX (Well MSX2).

Anyway nice to have you here.

I am hoping to be able to attend VCF East 9.1 in the spring.

Don't miss it! This show will be our biggest one. Three days (vs. two), 15 lectures, four technical workshops, probably 30 hands-on exhibits, the museums will all be open, consignment room, vendors, book sale, fun souvenirs, food, and you can even win an oscilloscope. People are going from Australia, Switzerland, and all over the continental U.S./Canada.

I haven't ever been able to make it but from what I have seen from the last VCF (West ... perhaps I'm bad luck?) it's definitely a do not miss event if it's ever in a drivable proximity. VCF East I do think is the largest event out of all of them (could be wrong but it's the most mature one going on right now).

No, you're right. :)

Southeast last year had more attendees, but that was the whole Apple thing....

Check out the exhibitor list for this year's VCF East (http://www.vintage.org/2014/east/exhibit.php) .... it's mind-blowingly impressive and it's still growing. We almost definitely will crack 30 exhibits this year, by far a record. And that doesn't even include the MARCH exhibit (UNIVAC!) * plus * all of our museum exhibits down the hallway.

This is the first time on the east coast where people can see HUNDREDS of vintage computers (well, at least 100...) all up and running in one place. I'm deliriously stoked about this! (As if you couldn't tell.)

Yea lol I wanna see a UNIVAC. Its 3 hours from me but that's not too bad. Wish I had something cool to show. I was also interested in getting one of those mimeo kits I see you guys have. Making the authentic keyboard looks like a PITA though and the kit is fairly expensive.

Three hours is nothing. People attend from many states, countries, and continents.

For your first time it's best just to enjoy the show and see what the exhibits are like, and then you could decide whether to participate in a future year.

Mimeo definitely requires some budget and customization. It's not for everyone. You may be better off with the Briel kit ("Replica 1"). Trade-off is the Briel kit is much less expensive but it's not as accurate. Conveniently, you can get a Briel kit at a discount at VCF East, and Vince will teach you how to build it! Although the Mimeo designer (Mike Willegal) will also be on hand that weekend. So you can see both and then make a decision.

You have some cool people coming. I really prefer the Mimeo for accuracy over the Briel kit but I might have to settle with it anyways due to budget. If he is going to be there with discounts I will just wait.

The parts kit for the mimeo does include some retro stuff, but did the price randomly happen to land on the devils number? :p

Heck I'm glad this in within driving distance. Every other cool convention I want to go to seems to end up on the west coast.

$666.66 was the retail price of the real Apple 1. Woz said he likes repeating digits and that it had nothing to do with the silly "devil" thing.

Back