• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hi from Spokane, WA

grimm

Experienced Member
Hi, my name is Jason and I currently live in Spokane, WA. I just moved here about a year ago to help take care of my dad. I have far too many hobbies, but vintage computing is what I enjoy the most. :)

I got into vintage computing for many of the same reasons that other people do, that is, I used them when I was a teenager and wanted to experience them again. My journey started when I was in 10th grade (1981) where my high school had a computer class with Commodore PET computers. We had one PET 2001-8 and four PET 4016s in the class. For loading and saving programs we had a single datasette that was shared between the 4016s (and the built-in one in the 2001). Later we got a CBM 8050 dual floppy drive that was shared with the four 4016s and two new 8032s. I also had exposure to several other systems at the time, a TRS-80 model I, TRS-80 Model II, Atari 400, and an Apple ][ which we played Castle Wolfenstein on.

A year later I got the first computer I personally owned, a Timex-Sinclair 1000 (1982). Next came the Commodore Vic 20 which I played the Adventure games on (1983). Once I learned about the Commodore 64, I had to have it, as one of my friends had one so I knew what it could do. My parents were not having it though, "You already have two computers, you don't need another one." They just didn't understand the whole upgrade thing. So I pulled all of the money I could from baby sitting and holidays/birthdays and came up with around $500. Then a quick trip down to the local Toy-R-Us and I had a shiny new C64 with 1541 disk drive. The C64 was $200 and the 1541 was $250 and the rest of the money was spent on Microsoft's Flight Simulator II. After collage I turned to the Amiga line of computers (A500, A1200, A3000, etc) and the rest is history.

Currently in my collection I have the following machines...

a Atari 400
two TI 99/4a (Both the black/aluminum and the beige one)
a Apple IIe
three Commodore Vic 20s
two Commodore C64s and a spare motherboard
a Timex-Sinclair 1000
a Mattel Aquarius
SGI Indy (1993)
and I just acquired a Tandy TRS-80 Color Computer I

Many of these have their original boxes and ephemera. I just restored the Apple IIe and one of the C64s, so I'm looking forward to sharing my new adventure and possibly getting help (or helping) from everyone here.

Jason

Thanks for the welcome. I started working on one of my Commodore VIC 20s, it has some issues that need to be taken care of soon. I will start a thread the the commodore forum for that. :)

Jason

Back