• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hi! New here!

albert90

Banned
Hello everyone! I joined here not long ago, and just noticed this Introductions thread so I thought I'd say Hi. I'm sort of new to the whole vintage computer thing, but it intrigues me a lot how computer-related workflows were back in the days of kilobytes of RAM. I mean, we put a man on the moon with one of these!

Hope to see some really interesting things here!

Glad to have you here @albert90 !

The tech behind the systems in the Apollo program even predated the “kilobytes of RAM” era. The AGC and its peripherals were true wonders of their era.

- Alex

Yes, welcome to VCFED.

It is interesting that you mention the AGC (Apollo Guidance Computer). For one of my 'home' projects (I wanted to learn about FPGAs) I converted the online MIT schematics for the AGC into a logic description for an FPGA. It even worked! I had to fix one or two errors (literally) in the schematics to get it to work though...

Please add your location to your profile (if you are able to) and let us know the sorts of things you are interested in. Happy to explain how we developed programs back in the day (but I am a youngster in comparison with some of the people here :)). I started my career in the days of the PDP-11 and microprocessors such as the 6502, Z80, 6800 etc. I am now 'working backwards' to the PDP-8...

Dave

Back