• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

"Hot button" a thread?

Chuck(G)

25k Member
This is just a suggestion for future enhancements of vBulletin, so no rush.

I tend to follow certain threads very closely and others not at all. I'd like a way to mark the "hot" threads so that they always show on the "New Posts" listing, even if new postings haven't been made.

Subscriptions is just one click away from the Settings Page, same as New Posts is just one click away. So, if you were to subscribe to your hot threads wouldn't that suffice? Just a thought... :)

It's an option, but much less convenient.
Does subscribing do what you want? It's only a couple of clicks under thread tools, so it's pretty convenient, no?

What I can't figure is why I get subscribed to various threads even though I've never subscribed to any; are you automatically subscribed if you post in a thread?.

Oh, the echo in here..... :)
I phrased that badly; what I was asking (in relation to your suggestion) was why Chuck found it inconvenient. I couldn't find it "one click away from the settings page" as you said but I did see it conveniently under "Thread Tools", in case it was the act of subscribing that Chuck found inconvenient (as opposed to what subscribing actually does for him).

The act of subscribing is easy--but I don't want to be notified by email or have to go to my control panel to see the thread. I guess I'll just set a browser bookmark...

Mike, on the right side of my Settings page, just above the Subscribed Forums list I have a rectangular button ... 'View all Subscribed Threads'. So, if one of your (or Chuck's) hot threads doesn't have a recent reply that causes it to appear this button recalls all subscribed threads, decending by date.

The act of subscribing is easy--but I don't want to be notified by email or have to go to my control panel to see the thread. I guess I'll just set a browser bookmark...
I run this forum from my Settings page and everything is convenient right from there. And I don't set any email notifications.

If you start a thread, you have the option of subscribing to it before you actually post the thread. Now for replying, it doesn't subscribe you to it, you must manually subscrbe to it.

If you start a thread, you have the option of subscribing to it before you actually post the thread. Now for replying, it doesn't subscribe you to it, you must manually subscrbe to it.
Well, I've never subscribed to a thread (except for this one, as a test) and when I look at my subscriptions I see 1777 threads that I'm subscribed to, presumably every one I've ever posted in. Maybe this is a configurable option, whether to automatically be subscribed or not when you post in a given thread?

But I think I see what Chuck means; using subscriptions means you'd have to check separately the subscribed threads and any new ones you hadn't seen yet, with considerable duplication.

My main issue is actually that looking at "New Posts" sometimes seems to miss some for some reason.

Last edited:

I thought I'd just respond to this and see if I could find the answer. :) As I'm writing this, I see that there are some options down below this text input window. Way down where I've never looked before. There is a check-box for "Subscription" with a drop-down menu giving four options. So, I learnt something.

Then below that there is "Manage Attachments" (which tells me I'm not logged in) followed by "Rate Thread" which doesn't work. I'll hit "preview" and log in again to see if things improve. . . .

OK, that brings up something which looks to be genuinely useful for managing attachments. As well, the ratings drop-down menu works when the check-box is clicked. I can't quite decide how many stars this thread should have because I don't have any idea of the kinds of criteria to apply. I'd rate a thread on spelling but that doesn't seem fair to the people who are considerate enough to proof read their posts. What to do, what to do. :confused:

While I'm in a foul mood, I guess this would also be a good opportunity to point out that when I first went to answer this post, it referred to me as "unregistered", and when I put in my name it says it's already taken. Not a big deal really. I just use another box to put my name into. I know, there's probably no point in complaining about the software until they get it finished. ;)

What I can't figure is why I get subscribed to various threads even though I've never subscribed to any; are you automatically subscribed if you post in a thread?.

For being a 2005 forum member, I don't see you very acquainted with its inner workings... :cool:

You do it like this:

Settings (link, at the top of the page) -> My Settings (section, at the left side) -> My Account (section, below previous one) -> General Settings (link) -> Messaging & Notification (section) -> Messaging & Notification: pull down menu.

And there it explains: When you post a new thread, or reply to a topic, you can choose to automatically add that thread to your list of subscribed threads, with the option to receive email notification of new replies to that thread.

And there you can choose anyone of these:
  • Do not subscribe
  • Through my control panel only
  • Instantly, using email
  • Daily, using email
  • Weekly, using email

Back