• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How can I dump ROM code mapped in the last 16 Mb of a 286?

I say it is trivial.
Although our opinionated friend somehow knows that I didn't look at your code, as a matter of fact I did: exactly 100 lines of code, and in one afternoon with interruptions no doubt ;-)

But of course what one person considers trivial is not necessarily trivial for someone else (me for instance ;-) )

And what's this stuff about "obsolete" skills?
Sign of the times, Chuck, sign of the times...

But I do admire your self-restraint ;-)

It made a nice respite from banging my head on the workings of the PIC32 CRC generator. Sometimes I swear today's vendors are hiring retired bureaucrats to write their documentation.

I included source code so that anyone can fool with it. Nothing special, with a fair number of comments. For example, you could put the number of K to dump from the end on the command line, fill in the 386 fields of the GDT for 32-bit address space operation, etc.

I'm pretty much done with it. If there are errors, I've no intention of being the custodian of this thing, so fix 'em and document them for others. I think I've got exactly one (1) 286 motherboard here and it hasn't been run in years.

I apologize Chuck. His code seems to works without any parity or A20 issues on several non-IBM 286 boards I have. On 386 it is much easier to use big real mode directly.

Back