• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How do you guys store you computer/peripheral cards (for those who have MANY)?

VERAULT

Veteran Member
Just wondering what you guys do to store your peripheral cards. Im not talking long term storage sealed away, I mean still having access to them if needed but conveniently. Im storing them in BOXES, and its just not great.

Hoping you guys have some ideas.

I'm storing mine in boxes too, but they are flat about the thickness of pizza boxes, and I store them on their sides (if the parts inside aren't too heavy) and I try to label them clearly with what they have inside so I can easily find what I'm looking for. Up until last year, I was a customer engineer doing installs of new tech, so I had access to a lot of second-hand anti-static bags and bubble wrap, so I try to protect the cards as best as I can.

It's still a work in progress, so I've only got one shelf done so far.

stored_cards.jpg

Anti static bags and a bunch of plastic storage bins.

I get the vast majority of my cards without their original boxes and the ESD bags keep them from rubbing together and knocking stuff of.

When you have 100's of cards and limited space you have to be creative.

Nothing fancy just antistatic bags in cardboard boxes. I have them separated by type (sound, ISA video, PCI video, etc). I stand the cards on edge like if they were installed in a desktop. I try to avoid plastic containers to minimize possible sources of static.

I have been meaning to make a spreadsheet because I always forget what I have until I'm rummaging through the boxes.

I mainly use tuffbins, and mostly everything is in antistatic bags most part, some paper bags here and there. Brown paper bags are good in a pinch or tabbed envelopes. I tend to reuse silicone packets as well , so always a bunch in each bin. Layers separated by cardboard. Have at least 20 bins. Like Unknown_K said, have to use whats accessible and be creative.

I'm storing mine in boxes too, but they are flat about the thickness of pizza boxes, and I store them on their sides (if the parts inside aren't too heavy) and I try to label them clearly with what they have inside so I can easily find what I'm looking for. Up until last year, I was a customer engineer doing installs of new tech, so I had access to a lot of second-hand anti-static bags and bubble wrap, so I try to protect the cards as best as I can.

It's still a work in progress, so I've only got one shelf done so far.

View attachment 1237743
I store mine similarly. Boxed with boards in antistatic bags and labeled for easily I.D.
And stored in climate controlled environment.

I recently bought about 500 of these mailers for a few pennies each from a local establishment that was going out of business. These boxes are 5.25"x10.5"x1.75". I've been making sure the card is in a static bag and I label the outside of the box.

Boxes_Cards.jpg

Love the box concept ... Maybe I could use USPS priority mail boxes... Boxes retail aren't cheap sadly.

very true. i used to buy them at walmsrt but they got pricey. then i got moving boxes from home depot they are over $5.00 a box now.

For 3.5" disk drives and floppy drives, I use these plastic photo holders. You can buy these at craft stores. This one is called a "Recollections Photo Box - 16 Cases." 3.5" drives fit perfectly into these little boxes that slide into the larger box. 16 drives can fit in each case.

DSC00282_SM.JPG
DSC00284_SM.JPG

For 5.25" drives, I bought these 9X6X2 boxes (Half Height) and the 9X6X4 (Full Height). https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GC96SFH?th=1

The boxes are not cheap and I wish I could find a cheaper source than Amazon but they are just about perfect size.

DSC00286_SM.JPG

DSC00287_SM.JPG

I'm curious if you expect to ever use these parts? Since they are packaged so nicely.

I'm just making it easier to go through when I die. :)

I hope to use most of it. I'm sure there are plenty of items that I'll never touch. I just told myself a few weeks ago that before I started any new projects, I was going to organize the mess. It's easier to work on a project when you're better organized. Next is getting all of my software organized.

Yuo get an "A" for execution and organization but I have the same thought as Plasma.

I just assume it all getts tossed when I die.

Most of the stuff I’ve got boxed up like this falls into one of two categories. Parts I’m collecting for a future build or project and parts I’ve got as spares.

For the future project parts having them boxed up and labeled makes them easier to find and hopefully will keep me from accidentally buying duplicates for no reason (other than intentional spares)

For the spares, I hope I’ll not need them regularly anyway, but I probably picked them up for cheap or in a lot with something I needed anyway.

But yeah if I die, maybe it will help my friends and family sell things on eBay. ;)

I think it would be in our best interests to organize some kind of auction service for dead members. Inventory and sell. Obviously some agreed upon proceeds would go to the group as payment for services. With the bulk going towards the family.

For the future project parts having them boxed up and labeled makes them easier to find and hopefully will keep me from accidentally buying duplicates for no reason (other than intentional spares)
I hear that. There's parts I bought 5+ years ago that I totally forgot about :cautious:

I think it would be in our best interests to organize some kind of auction service for dead members. Inventory and sell. Obviously some agreed upon proceeds would go to the group as payment for services. With the bulk going towards the family.
This a great idea. I have in my will that all my computer collection should be handled by an auction service but not specified who.

Labels on boxes?. You guys are one inventory control program away from properly warehousing products with locations. Searchable inventory with shelf numbers and all that

Back