• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How Do You Keep A Record Of Your Collection?

Well, you're only half right. I'ts not Android/IOS... it's Android/Windows. Go back and look at it again.

Haha, sorry, I took a quick look but it wasn't really what I was suggesting anyway, so it didn't matter either way.. mine was just a wishful thinking of a program that ran on old systems but worked with the modern wifimodem device to store it's data in the cloud (or on a master server). Similar to how they're making that Plato software for all the different retro systems to connect to the modern irata online through telnet. In any case, no one is going to make that, was only saying it would be neat (and then everyone misread my post by either suggesting new software on modern devices or old software that was limited to the computer and software you stored it on).

Anyway, your software was a good recommendation for the OP, I only replied because you quoted my request which was something different.

I'm currently looking at a cloud based collection system. It's called CollectorBase and I'm working with them to add in Vintage Computer-specific features. I've yet to hear back from them as far as the changes we'd need for the service to be useful to us.

They have a free membership for trial/testing and the more of us that join and offer suggestions, the better it will become.

I'm currently looking at a cloud based collection system. It's called CollectorBase and ...
My first thought would be: "Who has access to the data?". OK, I am not a real collector but I don't think that I want to advertise in some way what nice things can be found in my home.

I have read all the comments above and enjoyed reading them. As said, I'm not a collector, but I definitely need a database. It doesn't only contain the various computers I have but also where I can find parts, ICs, cards, nuts, bolts, test equipment, etc., etc. And as said before, I use Excel, the '97 format. So it can be used on various older computers. Export it as a CSV file and it even can be used on an old text based machine like one running CP/M and dBase.

I make a spreadsheet in Excel for every system I bought, built, and got second hand, such as at a thrift store. In the spreadsheet, I put the make and model of the system, which items have been replaced by me, when the hard drive was zeroed out before installing the OS onto the system, current issues, and all that other stuff.

I make a spreadsheet in Excel for every system I bought, built, and got second hand, such as at a thrift store. In the spreadsheet, I put the make and model of the system, which items have been replaced by me, when the hard drive was zeroed out before installing the OS onto the system, current issues, and all that other stuff.

Excel and labeled plastic containers

Spreadsheets are for crunching numbers. I also have a few thousand items in my collection and would prefer the heavy lifting be done by a machine. The data should also be very detailed and better linked than I could do myself.

Honestly, what little information I have on my vintage computers is also in a spreadsheet. Mine was more specific to tracking items and cost I spent, but I totally get using spreadsheets over databases in this day and age. For instance, for work I almost always use spreadsheets for basic database stuff because it's just easier. It's nice because you just open it up and start typing, no need to create a database or do any work creating a structure or forms. It's also really easy to pass around to others, much easier to email than a database. If you're just using it to store data for quick reference than spreadsheets are perfect. If you're wanting to do any fancy reporting or data manipulation then the database is the way to go. I also find that you can just give someone a spreadsheet and they can figure it out, giving them a database almost always involves training. As an aside, Excel actually has a lot of database functionality built into it now. While it's not as easy to implement as a database would be, it's perfectly usable for some use cases.

All that said, if you have a large collection, you are better off using a database and building that out. For small collections, you'd spend more time building and maintaining the database then entering the actual data itself and most people would never get around to 'building a database' so it's a catch 22. With reference to excel though, I'd almost recommend using Google sheets vs. a local copy of excel (which is actually what I do for a lot of personal stuff) because I can view it from anywhere. If i'm out and about then I can bring it up on my phone if I need to check something I have.

Back