• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

how interchangable are 486 cpus?

The DX4 uses a 3.3 volt supply versus 5 volts for the others. Newer 486 boards will usually have the necessary regulater on board. But if it's an older one you'll need a power adpater that goes between the motherboard and the CPU so you don't burn out the chip.

thanks for the heads up! my dx2 turns out to have two damaged and loose pins, back to dx.

The DX4 Overdrive might be worth looking at. It's got a heatsink and voltage regulator built into the top of the CPU so it will work on a 5V board.
I've been using one for a while with no problems at all although a small fan on the heatsink doesn't got astray. I did have one board that hung on POST with it and I never figured out why - I believe the chipset/BIOS didn't support the 16KB of L1 cache (standard 486's only have 8KB).

If your motherboard has Socket 3 you may also try a Pentium Overdrive. (don't get confused with Socket 3 Pentium Overdrive and the later models for socket 4 or 5). These also work at 5V and run at 63MHz or 83MHz, on a 25MHz or 33MHz bus respectively.

kbit:

If you are just getting into the 'socket 3' world, and it looks like you are, why not start a small 486 collection? The 486's are plentiful and relatively inexpensive. You can swap them out and learn about the system/BIOS limitations as you go. Personally, my favorite is the AMD Am5x86-75 which runs at 133 MHz, and under ideal circumstances, can be 'goosed' to 150 MHz or so. Good luck and have some fun with it.

Last edited:
i think i missed the bus! a few years ago 486 parts and computers were flush in second hand stores around here. the last few years they are as rare as hens teeth , along with early pentium comps and parts. {still regret not buying , a case of if i knew then what i know now thing} ah, well , i have a few parts to play with. i find info very difficult to obtain with most isa machines and parts { kinda fun if you finally find something} and am thankful i at least have one perfect running {now} 486 machine. thanks for replies and i will keep tinkering away.

i think i missed the bus! a few years ago 486 parts and computers were flush in second hand stores around here. the last few years they are as rare as hens teeth , along with early pentium comps and parts.

Gold prices and scrappers... Now I know how the tree huggers feel watching deforestation... :(

I just picked up one of those Pentium overdrives for replacing a 5v dx33 or dx66 for under 30 shipped on ebay NOS/NIB. There's another guy asking close to 60, but if you wait around you'll see one. That's awesome if you are looking for performance on you current mobo, if you just want to see what a 486 can do, they are fun to collect and play with.

Good Luck! :cool:

Back