• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How much Time do you spend doin' stuff?

mbbrutman wrote:

I hate to be the prude, but this area is open, searchable, and archived by other sites. So unless you really want to advertise to your future employers, girlfriends and extended family how you lived your life in Dec 2007, I would advise a little discretion.

This is the only other site which should be authorised to Archive this material, if you know of other sites which are archiving this information they need to remove it.

However I don't believe anyone has divulged their inner secrets here, even I take care of that! :-D If people choose to do that, that's their choice.

Every major and some nonmajor search engines index this entire forum. Google, MSN, Yahoo, Gigablast, all of them. All it'd take is a simple search using your engine of choice. Its how the system works.

Take a look at my attachment, Yahoo! Slurp is popular, and Googlebot and Exabot (??) are here as well doing their indexing jobs. Its very very easy to find this place though search engines. Can't expect much privacy in a public forum.

Last edited:
Vlad wrote:

Every major and some nonmajor search engines index this entire forum. Google, MSN, Yahoo, Gigablast, all of them. All it'd take is a simple search using your engine of choice. Its how the system works.

Yes I perfectly understand the concept of a Search engine, though I'm talking about other website archiving this site which was mentioned. Public forum or not, Erik shouldn't simply allow somebody to take his forum and archive it to prying eyes and get credit for it.

The benefit of living in a small town: it takes me 15-20 minutes from my home to work, and that is a distance of exactly 10 km (6.2 miles).

Forgive me, but I wouldn't consider that a small town. I grew up in a small town, and 10km would be all the way across town AND back...twice. :D

SwedaGuy wrote:

Forgive me, but I wouldn't consider that a small town. I grew up in a small town, and 10km would be all the way across town AND back...twice. :D

I come from a regional City (80,000 when the councils combined to form this so-called city), though Country was close handy. There's still a huge difference between a city of that size and State Capital which are generally more high-rised, many times more people and gridlock on freeways peak times (even though peak times has little meaning on a city - which are generally always busy!).

In outback country though your nearest neighbour maybe 100km away from you! :-o So I reckon it's easy to put on the millage when you're in the country.

Sure. A population of 130,000 isn't exactly small, but with international standards it is quite average, I'm afraid. 10 km takes me almost from one end of the city to the other end. 15 km would probably span from the two outmost points.

carlsson wrote:

Sure. A population of 130,000 isn't exactly small, but with international standards it is quite average, I'm afraid. 10 km takes me almost from one end of the city to the other end. 15 km would probably span from the two outmost points.

The town I came from is a lot more spaced out than that, firstly if you wanted to get to the other side of town it was perhaps 20-25 kilometres. The town center for us was probably 10km at most. The school I went to was probably 4km and then 10km as I was growing up! :-o This town was broken up into subtowns (suburbs if you wish), though I came from a smaller part of town where the bush met a small subdivision where the blocks were big!

My town (Eccles) Has a population of about 35,000 and is no more than 6 miles top to bottom and side to side. All the schools I've ever been to and work are within walking distance :) This has probably made me very lazy, what with Manchester city centre being a 20 minute tram ride away it really is a convenient place to live, although it does have some scruffy/rough places. Because Great Britain (Just the main island) is mostly fairly densely populated, and tiny compared to America or Australia, it's pretty hard to be more than 100 miles from anyone, unless you're somewhere in the Scottish countryside.

The town I last lived in(and weill be going backl to this summer) was quite small. It had a population of about 800. The actual town part was tiny, about 2 miles across. A bunch of the backcountry was considered PART of Flatwoods, but not technically of the town. With the backcountry the town is huge, with a size of at least 10 miles long and 7 miles wide. That was Flatwoods, West Virginia.
Currently I live in Lewisville, Texas. It is enoromous, so much so I have no clue how big, and it has a population of 40,000.

--Ryan

Yzzerdd wrote:

The town I last lived in(and weill be going backl to this summer) was quite small. It had a population of about 800. The actual town part was tiny, about 2 miles across. A bunch of the backcountry was considered PART of Flatwoods, but not technically of the town. With the backcountry the town is huge, with a size of at least 10 miles long and 7 miles wide. That was Flatwoods, West Virginia.
Currently I live in Lewisville, Texas. It is enoromous, so much so I have no clue how big, and it has a population of 40,000.

I wonder how a town like Flatwoods would look now with Google Earth? Unfortunately I don't have access cause of my Dial-up! All I know is some people were telling me it's being updated all the time with new better images. I feel remote areas would be the last places to be enhanced! :-(

CP/M User.

Hmm... I last checked last month(when I had a PC capable of Google Earth) but even from pretty high the area was a giant blur. Go down to street level, and you've got yourself what appears to be a close-up of bird crap in the grass. Of course, now I live in Lewisville, and if you zoom into my house(built 10 years ago) you will still see the construction site! Only recently did Mapquest regognize my old house in WV. The place was built in 1904, how long does is take to get "Quality Street" onto the internet maps? Furthermore, until my Grandma moved in, her house was "5" Quality Street. She didn't like that it sounded like an apartment, so she put up an extra "5" on the house, making in "55" Quality street. She explained it to the Mayor, and even MapQuest regognizes it so!

--Ryan

Yzzerdd wrote:

Hmm... I last checked last month(when I had a PC capable of Google Earth) but even from pretty high the area was a giant blur. Go down to street level, and you've got yourself what appears to be a close-up of bird crap in the grass. Of course, now I live in Lewisville, and if you zoom into my house(built 10 years ago) you will still see the construction site! Only recently did Mapquest regognize my old house in WV. The place was built in 1904, how long does is take to get "Quality Street" onto the internet maps? Furthermore, until my Grandma moved in, her house was "5" Quality Street. She didn't like that it sounded like an apartment, so she put up an extra "5" on the house, making in "55" Quality street. She explained it to the Mayor, and even MapQuest regognizes it so!

Hmmm, yes I'm not quite sure often it's updated. To be honest I'm unsure where Google would get their images from - I suspect it's a combination of Satellite imagery and Aerial Photography and perhaps to get good detail photos in Google Earth the area would have to be subjected to an Aerial flyover. Of course to do this they need a flight path which only covers so much from the sky and to have an area squared off many flyovers would be required.

Of course I feel it's being updated all the time (the planet is a big place though), once or twice I studied an area which had improved significantly within a year of looking over the same area in low resolution.

Back