• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How to disable DOS-Shell in MS_DOS-5.0 help.

Sega

Experienced Member
I have MS-DOS 5.0 installed on two older machines. During the start up, Dos-Shell always boots at the end. Even though it was very innovative for its time I don't have much use for it and I'd like to skip it and go directly to the command prompt . Is there a proper way to disable it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

IIRC, you could find the appropriate invocation in AUTOEXEC.BAT. If it's not there, look at CONFIG.SYS.

Thanks much for your reply. This is what AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS currently looks like:

@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\DOS
SET TEMP=C:\DOS
C:\DOS\DOSSHELL

DEVICE=C:\DOS\SETVER.EXE
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH
FILES=10

So, all I have to do is edit and get rid of the "C:\DOS\DOSSHELL" line correct?

Correct. Either delete the line or put a semicolon in front of it.

I sure dont tecall DOSs Hell being innovative at the time.. There were better thirdparty utilities like that years prior.

Ok deleted the line and the shell is gone. What line do I need to put in order to get the DOS greeting version of: "Microsoft (R) MS-DOS(R) version 5.00 (c)copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1991" ??

just add

VER

at the end of AUTOEXEC.BAT

Cool, did that but I only get the "MS-DOS Version 5.00". Is there a away to get the whole sentence of :"Microsoft (R) MS-DOS(R) version 5.00 (c)copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1991" ?

Thanks!

Cool, did that but I only get the "MS-DOS Version 5.00". Is there a away to get the whole sentence of :"Microsoft (R) MS-DOS(R) version 5.00 (c)copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1991" ?

Thanks!

Oh, you get the output you're looking for just by running COMMAND.COM again. Normally it only does that when you don't have an AUTOEXEC.BAT.

It seems that "VER" will give you most of the information you want. Put it in the autoexec.bat file. Can't try it out on this computer, but I don't think it gives everything you want.

The type command can display that if you can use a text file ( for example dosver.txt) with that text in it and put - "type dosver.txt" without quotes in the autoexect.bat

Last edited:
Ah ok I see no biggie. Thanks everyone for your help :thumbsup:

Back