• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How to disassemble and clean Apple IIe game paddles

retrogear

Veteran Member
The contact in the pots of my game paddles are pretty much non-existent. Is there any photos / explanation of how to get them open? There seems to be a screw under the label
at the handle. I would like to get them open far enough to at least get some cleaning spray inside. Back in the day, I used Channel Master Shield on controls. Is Deoxit D5 a good choice?
Looks like there is a spray that combines D5 with S6 shield. Would the S6 lubricant be good? Sounds the best to me ...
I need to spray the contrast pot in my Monitor /// as well.

Larry G

I was at Walmart and ended up buying some CRC brand QD Electronic cleaner. It did a good job on the contrast pot in my Monitor /// so I went after cleaning my game paddles. If you peel back the label on the handle, it reveals a clip to release with a screwdriver and then the handle can get spread open revealing the shiny pot in the front. Spraying cleaner in there did the trick. It works fine now. The attached picture shows the plastic release clip in the front and the shiny pot in the back. Feed a straw nozzle in to the opening in the pot. I always kink the end of the straw to aim in the pot - Larry G
paddle.jpg

Yea, the wipers squeak a little like they're dry but work good. It wouldn't hurt to have some kind of shield lubricant on them but I don't think I'll work 'em that hard ... :)

Larry G

Back