• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How to efficiently put classic laptops and compact computers on display?

mikerofone

Experienced Member
Hi folks,

I'm slowly accumulating a selection of classic computers, mostly laptops and portables (e.g. IBM PC Convertible, IBM Thinkpads and PS/2 portables, some generic early-90s PC laptops) and some compact Macs (Plus, Colour Classic). They're to cool to just store in boxes or as a stacked heap of devices, and I'd like to store them in a way that shows them in a mostly usable (-looking) state. E.g. laptops in folded-open position, compacts with keyboard and mouse attached, and at a height-level that allows to at least touch the keyboards and see the screens, even though it might not be a suitable height to use them for more than a couple minutes.

As I don't have a warehouse or spare room to set them up, I cannot simply use a long table to line them up side-by-side. ;)

For laptops, it might be cool to use something like a flyer or magazine shelf (not sure what they are called in English, random example from Google image search here), which due to the angle would make it possible to mount laptops at much higher than regular desk level and still allow the keyboards to be seen and use. I imagine that mounting a single such row on a wall at eye level would give a visually appealing result, while leaving enough space below to put a regular shelf for the compacts and luggables to sit on.

Has anyone here actually done it that way? I'm curious to learn about any solutions you might have found.

Relatedly, any suggestions on how to avoid discoloration due to sunlight coming in? It's not too much (North and East facing windows only), but it might still be a good idea to take some steps to reduce the amount of UV that hits the machines.

Cheers
mikerofone

If they're small and portable, just put them in a book case. Leave a blank spot on the top with a handy power outlet. If you want to use one, pull it out, put it in the blank space, plug it in, and fire it up.

It can always be a tall book case.

Back