• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How to Make a 360K LDOS Disk?

tempest

Veteran Member
My model 4 now has a nice 360K drive in it to replace the old 180K drive I had. Now I want to make a 360K version of my LDOS 5.3.1 disk, but I'm not 100% sure how to do that. To make my original LDOS disk I used an emulator (David Keil's amazing emulator) to write out a disk image file to a real disk. However if the disk image I'm writing is 180K then that's what it's going to write to the real disk too. How do I format a disk a 360K then copy all the LDOS file from the old 180K disk to the new 360K disk?

Perfect. How do format double sided though?

EDIT: Never mind, found it. I just had to type FORMAT without any extra flags

Last edited:
I got it, but now I need to remember the commands to enable my realtime clock, extra drives (drives 2 and 3), and disable the date/time prompts at the start of LDOS. I know it was SYSGEN something or another, but I can't remember what. Is there a way to copy the old sysgen file from one disk to another?

Try system (drive=2, enable) (LS-DOS manual p. 224)

If you boot a floppy with a SYSGEN file, you can use the command SYSTEM (sysgen=on, drive=x) to create the SYSGEN file on drive x

Last edited:
System (Time=No)
System (Date=No)

Also, what real time clock you got?

Ahh, I dont know what the patches were for that in LDOS/LSDOS. I looked for them a while back, all I could find were older versions. Hopefully someone can post the right ones in here.

The OS has ones for the smartwatch, but I still use CLK3/4 to set the time, because I wasn't sure about the ones they had.

I think FreHD has them, I haven't tried making a master from a FreHD and testing that.

Well it’s all for nought anyway. The 360k drive I thought was repaired still won’t write disks (it looks like it does, but nothing actually happens). Back to the old 180K drive. At least I now have a 360k disk if I ever get a working drive.

I had that issue the other day and it was actually a cable problem not a drive problem.

Also, if they are the same manufacturer and its a logic problem the Tandon boards are interchangeable if they have the same two head 5/6 connector in the front.

Back