• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How to mount a GOTEK emulator into an Amstrad PCW9512

oldgreywolf

"Hi Gary I am back again, and ready to move on with the cable connections to the GOTEK emulator, I have looked at the link you sent
( https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/DIY:Floppy_Drives) and noticed that the text refers to wiring diagrams and signal descriptions found on a CPC6128. Is this compatible to the connections for a 9512 ? or are there any changes to be made.
I have bought the following -
Amstrad PCW 8256 / 8512 Gotek / OpenFlops Cable Set Vintage Computer Schneider

Amstrad PCW 8256 / 8512 Gotek / OpenFlops Cable Set Vintage Computer Schneider
(133933678791)
I now have the GOTEK emulator and the cable set, I have a Flash drive and will be ready to down load the software soon. can you advise on the next steps from here and point out any pitfalls that I may encounter please.
any help will be greatly appreciated
cheers and hope you had a great Christmas 💾"

That's great, I am now deciding whether to cut the casing to fit the GOTEK or try to find a mounting for that purpose,
don't like the idea of cutting.
also which files to load onto the flash drive. The user manual for the GOTEK is somewhat confusing with regard to formatting the flash drive and emulator.

I assume you are going to use Keir's Flashfloppy Firmware with your GOTEK. Is this correct?

You should be able to load a Bootable Amstrad Floppy in .IMD format into the HxC software
to create the Amstrad.hfe image, that should boot from the USB Flash Drive. You should check
the setting for a .RAW image format, and change those according to the SS/DD or DS/DD
Amstrad's Floppy definition.

Larry

Last edited:
I have looked at the photograph from the seller of the adapter cable and the power cable connections to the PCW existing power cable,
please have a look and see what you think....
I have sent a message to the seller on ebay and awaiting his response. hoping the configuration will work.
now I am searching for a mounting for the gotek.

Attachments

• 20211231_103659_edited.jpg
    20211231_103659_edited.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 8
  • connection as per the seller.jpg
    connection as per the seller.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 8
Yes, the +5 and +12 are swapped on the 3" CF2 floppy power connector. Discovered that the painful way (smoked a Teac FD235F drive). The Gotek, like many 3.5" drives requires only the +5V for operation.

The 3D printed bracket is so flimsy I don't think it will last long. I have to think on an alterative. I understand how yours broke Gary.......
its installed now and I have power to the PCW but I really need to understand how to load the Flash drive with boot files.
The guys have all sent information its just not clear to me how to proceed.
flash drive at the ready......
reassembled_edited.jpg Translucent_edited.jpg 3D support with Gotek in place.jpg have to glue Display to the support_edited.jpg

I assume you are going to use Keir's Flashfloppy Firmware with your GOTEK. Is this correct?

You should be able to load a Bootable Amstrad Floppy in .IMD format into the HxC software
to create the Amstrad.hfe image, that should boot from the USB Flash Drive. You should check
the setting for a .RAW image format, and change those according to the SS/DD or DS/DD
Amstrad's Floppy definition.

Larry
Hi Larry could you give me more direction i.e. what do I have to do to get the Gotek programmed and ready before I install the software/RAW,

Do you have flashfloppy installed on the gotek ?
Not yet, reassembled the PCW to see how things sit, apart from the support (feeble) it looks ok.
I will take it apart and add the firmware when I know what I need to do.
I have a video on youtube on how to program the gotek before installing flash floppy from the USB

A new Gotek is much easier to program than an older one, so hopefully you have the simple one, but the steps need to be followed carefully for the right chip.

Once you have Flash Floppy, then we will sort out what to stick on the USB drive.

I was under the impression that I could download flash floppy on to my flash drive and then install onto the PCW,
appears I have that wrong and I have to program the gotek first.....

Yes. Flashfloppy is a program for the chip on the Gotek to emulate a floppy drive.

You have to put the chip on the gotek into program mode and flash it. The instructions are available online, but you need to know which version of the gotek you have got.

Download here https://github.com/keirf/flashfloppy/wiki/Downloads
How to program the Gotek https://github.com/keirf/flashfloppy/wiki/Firmware-Programming
Hopefully yours has the new atery MCU can can be programmed https://www.msx.org/forum/msx-talk/hardware/goteks-with-new-guts

Flashfloppy is free and works.

Yes. Flashfloppy is a program for the chip on the Gotek to emulate a floppy drive.

You have to put the chip on the gotek into program mode and flash it. The instructions are available online, but you need to know which version of the gotek you have got.

Download here https://github.com/keirf/flashfloppy/wiki/Downloads
How to program the Gotek https://github.com/keirf/flashfloppy/wiki/Firmware-Programming
Hopefully yours has the new atery MCU can can be programmed https://www.msx.org/forum/msx-talk/hardware/goteks-with-new-guts

Flashfloppy is free and works.
On it mate, reconfigured jumpers ( one instead of two)
using new artery MCU instructions on youtube all downloaded to my windows 10 ASUS PC.
going to be a long night :)

I'm going through this journey at the moment. The issue I'm getting with my gotek is that it boots to a blank screen and sits on track 70... Then it fails to get any further until I interrupt it by switching out the current image and switching it back again, causing a drive not ready error. I wait for the image to re-establish on the Gotek, then "R"etry and it finishes booting just fine, but I think there's either an issue with my firmware or an issue with the Gotek on the 9512. Has anyone else hit this issue or can offer a suggestion? For reference, the Gotek works perfectly on a ZX Spectrum +3, (with Amstrad images ) but often doesn't start when I power up the 9512 due to the cable signals, and I have to remove the USB and reinstall it just to start the process, then again interrupt it when it gets to track 70.

Any thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

I'm also 3D printing my own housing for the Gotek, which should bolt straight in... It's just coming through the printer now as I type... Hopefully I got all the measurements right. My housing takes the rotary dial, has space for the piezo and recesses both the dial and the USB so they don't stick out so much, and won't knock on things. Also, it should have the same angular mounts as the original floppy casing. I'll take a picture when it's done ( assuming I get it right ) and post here. I styled it a little after the early 80's FDDs, so it has a bit more style than the flat plate models, and also has a display mounted visible at 45 degrees so it can be read comfortably from the front while using the PC.

Also, despite managing to get it booting ( the original disks supplied with it don't seem to work ) I'm still unsure about my images, and my Locoscript doesn't work ( comes up with an error, says it's for the 9512, which it came with, but can't get it to load off the floppy or the gotek , despite all the files looking OK ). Is there any source of functional gotek images for the 9512 so I can get mine running? Also looking for images of the Public Domain library disks that used to be distributed for the 9512. Any suggestions or pointers appreciated.

Back