• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How to mount a GOTEK emulator into an Amstrad PCW9512

Yes, you were correct about this. I don't know why I kept missing it. I think because I was new to all of the programs and constantly moving from one to another (DUF05, DU54, DU90, DiscKit) I couldn't see what was right under my nose, especially since I was so fixated on making sure I only selected A: and B: correctly to avoid accidentially destroying data....

Right now the images are going onto Gotek images in a meta-way and I'm shifting them back to my PC then to copy the PCW created images back to my archive. It's been a long path, but along the way, I found serious bugs with my disk detection routine in my software which was probably corrupting some of the images I was using also.

I've managed to make some significant improvements, and I'm finally starting to see, just a little bit, how CPM comes together... Which is good, because I want to program my own CPM in a new machine I'm building, based on an old one.

Geoff, you've been an incredible help - thank you.

David

Received my printed Gotek case for the Amstrad today.

£20 from Surfacescan which I was happy with and it looks really good. So much stronger than the other one (also got a 5.25 full height Gotek mount for my Osborne at the same time).

Err, have to wait a weeny bit.

Left my phone in the Restaurant last night and need to go and get it when it opens :(

Phone back and pics snapped.

20220205_175354.jpg

The mounting for the OLED is really well designed.

Last edited:
That came out looking pretty nice. They have a good printer. I can't see any printing artifacts on the face.

Let me know how it fits, and whether any adjustments might be needed in future files.

The OLED mount will almost work without fixing with glue or similar. But it was intended that once it was all in place, a touch of hotmelt or something similar would stop it coming out, although if you're working with it, there's no need to glue it. It sits pretty easily just with gravity and friction. Once it is glued, the pins should still be accessible even if the display is fully mounted, hence the open hole directly behind the pins to allow convenient reconnection, and the bottom wire to the display should sit roughly flush with the base when installed.

If you find any issues or have any suggestions for improvements, please let me know.

Thanks,
David

The pressure is off, I have acquired an IBM Aptiva For my good lady as she wants to get on with her projects.
now I can focus on restoring my two 9512`s. (in my own time) I am going to look at the GOTEC and the mounting for them and play with my toys....:giggle:
The IBM will arrive next week so I don't have to focus on that for a few days it has been refurbished and is ready to plug and play, just hope it survives the journey
any one familiar with this model?

IBM Aptiva 2137-E74 PC Complete Setup & Monitor 1997/8 RARE Vintage Bundle! AMD
IBM Aptiva 2137-E74 PC Complete Setup & Monitor 1997/8 RARE Vintage Bundle! AMD

Just for your info, I know its not CPM/MPM apologies in advance.
Seller notes:
“(IMAGES OF MONITOR MAY SHOW A LINE OR FLICKER - THIS IS THE EFFECT OF TAKING PHOTOS OF CRT SCREENS) PC case shows some heavy scratches and scuffs on the Left-Hand Panel (see photos) but rest of it in very good condition. Price reduced accordingly. It's a 1997 PC with Monitor from 1998, so >24 years old (nearly quarter of a century)! Keyboard in very good condition, Mouse is new (Aopen brand). Monitor is very good condition, only the odd scuff. All devices same white shade and not much discolouration which is rare for age. The whole system is fully working and thoroughly tested including the memory and hard disk! PC has been fully FACTORY RESTORED from IBM Recovery and has Windows 95 OSR2 all original IBM Software. Even the CDROM drive is linked up internally to the sound card! What a piece of history!”

Thanks Gary, missed that. here is what I have ordered,
FDD-PCW9512-adjusted - Copy.stl, Count: 1, material: Petg - Strong, functional & UV resistant, Specification: Layer thickness: 200.0 µm; Filling: 20% infill; Colour: White;
is this about right.

I went for 100% infill, but otherwise yes.

I believe the infill at 20% should be fine too, but 3d printing isn't something I know a lot about.

Hi, I'm new with Gotek. I have one and I have installed the last firmware 3.35 of FlashFloppy. The drive works, and shows all the DSK files in the OLED display, but I can´t run anything in my 9512. It starts with the black frame in some images, but no lines appears on the screen. After some seconds the computer beeps. I tried several times pressing space to re-load, but is the same.
What I'm doing wrong?
Thanks.

I use 3.29 - I haven't tried 3.35.

Also, how did you mix the signals? I had to install some extra circuitry into mine to activate the drive, though IIRC that was necessary because both drives were being activated at the same time. It's just an OR gate so that when both incomming lines are low, it drives the Gotek select ( ie, Motor and Select I think ). If you have the second drive in the 9512, then remove it, and test with just a single boot drive. Look to the display to let you know the 9512 is accessing the drive correctly, and ensure you have the correct boot disks installed into the Gotek. If it works with just the Gotek, you'll need to install the circuit before adding the second drive.

David

Back