• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How to store circuit boards/expansion cards?

retrobits

Experienced Member
A few years ago I had a lot of PDP-11 QBUS gear donated to me, including quite a few QBUS cards. I purchased thick anti-static bubble wrap (the big bubble kind) and stored them that way, but it's not very efficient. Now I've accumulated a few dozen S100 cards, and need to figure out a creative way to store those also.

As I received them, most of the S100 cards had been crammed into a cardboard box with no static bags. Crossing my fingers that the damage was limited. I've put them all in static bags, and have them stored together in narrow boxes, standing up on edge. I don't like that they rest on each other, even though the combined "lean" pressure is pretty low.

I've thought about buying a bunch of cardboard boxes of an appropriate size but it's not a cheap alternative ($40+ for 50 boxes). It would at least give me an easy way to label and stack. That's the way I'll go, unless someone has a trick up their sleeve!

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

- Earl

I stuff my cards into anti static bags and then just put them in large stearlite storage bins or 3/5 drawer carts. Same with motherboards, loose RAM, HDs, etc.

The good thing about cardboard boxes is the contents tend to breath with changes in humidity and they are easy to label and stack/store.

Once you get into 100's of cards, motherboards, etc individual boxes take up tons of space.

Back