• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How to Survive the Windows 8 transition without experiencing chest pains

Of course there is still a command prompt. Windows 8 could not have been developed on top of itself without a command prompt. A lot of the development tools are accessed through a command prompt interface.

We may well even find MS will even have to extend XP support due to Corporate pressure.

Not especially likely... It's still going until April 2014. Considering that XP came out in 2001 and Service pack 3 came out in 2008. 13 years is two lifetimes for an operating system. If Microsoft was going to extend support past that date, which they've been trumpeting for almost 5 years, they'd have to roll another service pack at the least and probably rewrite much of XP's code. Ain't gonna happen. My employer is now in the process of switching over to Win7 as we speak. They're extremely averse to change and very conservative. We didn't switch to XP until 2005. Most of those machines were running NT4 unless they had been recently purchased.

If you recently upgraded to W8, like I just did, you'll be in for a few surprises. You're going to spend time looking for features that you had grown accustomed to in W7, only to discover that they no longer exist in the new version. Gone are the Start Menu, Gadgets, Games, and Windows Media Center.
Never fear as workarounds abound:
The Start Menu can be replaced with a utility from Star Dock for a small fee.
http://www.stardock.com/products/start8. You will be able to toggle back and forth between the W7 Start Menu and the new so called W8 Metro.
W7Gadgets has been scrapped in favor of the tiles that appear in Metro. There is a free down load that will get most of them back for you. http://8gadgetpack.bplaced.net/
Games that you've been playing since the WIN98 days are also gone, in favor of some new stuff, that must be down loaded from the Microsoft Store. A few are free, but for the majority, you will have to pony up. The following link will reload all of your W7 games, with all their settings and scores, providing that you installed W8 as an upgrade.
https://hotfile.com/dl/156447161/4da4ff2/mgms_x32x64_1.2.rar.html
The Microsoft Media Center is also MIA. Microsoft has special deal for you if you act before January 1, 2013, else it will cost you big bucks. If you are a current W8 licensee with a valid key, you can down load the W8 compatible Microsoft Media Center for free from the following link.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs

I'm in the camp that thinks that, if you need/want to jump thru these types of hoops to make Win 8 work like Win 7, then you might as well not upgrade. I have to use Win 8 in my work since our product will need to support it. Once booted, I click on the desktop and from then on it works pretty much like Win 7. I have my most used programs pinned to the Taskbar and other programs have icons on the desktop. I hate a cluttered desktop so I hide the desktop icons and use a desktop toolbar to access the desktop. That's the same way I do things in Win 7, rarely use the Start button so really don't miss it.

You can create a Start button like toolbar in Win 8 without any 3rd party programs by making a toolbar that points to the "%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" folder.

My problem with Win 8 is the Metro apps. They all seem to be completely devoid of any real capability and come off to me as "toy" apps. Haven't found a single one that I like enough that I would want to use it.

Last edited:
Windows 8 is for the 'angry' birds!

Windows 8 is for the 'angry' birds!

Here's my take on Windows 8:
I want my money back. I've been had. I thought $40. for Win 8 Pro was a grand deal - at first. Now I feel I just lost $40. because as we speak my main computer is re-installing Windows 7 from an image backup, at my request.
I can't begin to tell you how p.o.ed I am with Win 8.
Here's my particular story. I'm a tidy computer user and I make sure I know my system inside out. Been thru all versions of Windows since 3.1. Although I did totally bypass Vista for obvious reasons.
I can't tell you how many times in the last week I've been uttering . . . "This is ridiculous!" - over and over. Media Center is gone! I asked for a key for the free return of same, but it hasn't been forthcoming in the past week. You can't play DVD's unless you go 3rd party. (This must thrill some people with new computers.) By the looks of things, if you buy a MS Surface tablet or a windows phone, you might enjoy 8, but for regular computer people, 8 stinks! I liked the Metro tiles but 95% of your programs will just plop you back into the Win 7 'type' desktop to run. Flip Flop, flip flop - am I metro or old school. New look - old look? You have to go fetch a program to get your convenient Start Menu back. How lame was it's removal? Where's the, My Computer? Two styles of IE 10 - and the Metro version of IE lacks just about everything you're used to or want. (Try making a favorite - what a joke trying to 'pin' hundreds of favorites as Start Menu items.) Who was in charge of that brainstorm idea?) The way I see it, Windows 8 is a frontend for Windows 7 - and a lame interpretation at that! There is so little to like and so much to just say "this is ridiculous!" Even after all that, I kept plugging away with the silly steep learning curve. I probably spent a total of 20 hours trying to tweak this pile of crap. When it started going bonkers and eventually I had to do - what MS is now calling a 'refresh', and found my files, moved, programs no longer available - all the refresh did (took an hour too), was to keep the Metro apps and leave me high and dry with all my other programs. What a crock! Initially it took Windows 8 a full 3 hours to install in the beginning. (Because I have a ton of programs running under windows to begin with.)
A couple good things - it's quick and more memory efficient and I could see that. That's about it on the plus side.
It's password (or passpicture), protected and I couldn't figure a way around that. After a week I had to do the refresh, (which isn't at all like just going back to a Windows restore point.) I ran my Windows 7 for a year and a half before I did a reinstall. Well, I notice my main computer is already back in the Windows 7 world, all restored to the way I was :) - and I won't stray again from 7 till they pry the image from my dying, clutching hands!

It took about 2 weeks for my Media Center keys to arrive (I ordered 3, figuring that I might want the keys in case I bought another copy or two of Win8 in the next year or three).

Updating my experience: I finished the hardware side of my new computer last night, routed all the wiring through my new case (first new case in 8 years), and verified POST. Today, I installed my Win8 (had to install Vista first, however, since Win8 Upgrade needs to be ran from within an existing installation).

Installing Vista took about 20 minutes, installing Win8 took another 15 minutes. Not too bad - even installing 2 OS's, this was still faster than installing Win XP Pro SP3 from CD.

After installing Win8, I found that every major function of my motherboard already had default drivers and working (I have an Asus P8Z77-V Pro). This was nice. I'm used to having to fuss with chipset drivers just to get a NIC so that I can update.

Another 20 minutes worth of Windows updates (about 300mbs total to download and install, surprisingly), and I'm away. I opted to try out ClassicShell prior to purchasing Start8, and boy am I glad I did! Classicshell is essentially a one-click operation (well, not really, but default install options set you up, then when it first fires up, you pick the Start skin that you want and you're done - although there are plenty of things that you can tweak if you want to, so far, I see absolutely no reason to tweak anything).

After it installs, you have a Programs folder and an Apps folder available, allowing you to launch all the Metro apps from within the Desktop, which I thought was a nice feature.

And yes, if you're wondering, I'm typing on the new system now :) I opted for the Vista/Win7 skin, though Classic, Luna, and a few others were available.

Concerning the Win7 skin, ClassicShell's "start" flag is not quite like Win7 (it's a clamshell shape), and you have to click a checkbox or two to make it look the same, but overall, it was about 2 seconds' time to open the options, find the checkboxes, and correct. As soon as you click OK, the changes are applied - quite nice.

You can set options within ClassicShell to boot right into the desktop, or to boot to Metro but keep the shell alive. You also have options to restore missing toolbars to Explorer and IE9, which was a welcome touch (although I don't use IE9, I live by Explorer)

After installing ClassicShell, I installed the Media Center add-on. Definitely a different experience. Click search, search for "add-on," Click Windows Add-Ons, and basically just paste your key. It verifies the key with the online database, figures out what program that key fits, and then prompts you to download and install it. Quite the intelligent process, although I'm not sure that I like that every single key is checked online prior to use.

Anyways.... +1 for ClassicShell, +1 for ease of Win8 installation, and actual usability or other quirks are still forthcoming.... but I don't see myself ever screwing with Metro again.

My 13-yr-old is running w8 but I can't really use it properly even if I wanted to. (I don't want to, as I think the dual-mode interface is cumbersome and not well thought out.) The reason I can't run 8 is because I use an IBM Model M keyboard (no windows keys) and a trakball (no scroll wheel). Microsoft's proper use of 8 requires both of those things: The mouse wheel to navigate the metro interface, and windows keys for shortcuts to do the stuff they removed from 7. So, no thanks for me.

Going to be uninstalling the phone operating system from my computer. I should've known better, but thought "how bad can it be". Now I know, it's horrible. Reverting back to win7. I'm just glad I only tried it on one of my computers. I'd have fired the guy that made this as well.
Kipp

Migrate to Linux--you can always run your beloved Windows system in a VirtualBox session if you get homesick.

I run most of my Win32 apps that I need to in WINE and also have DOSEMU for those DOS-only tasks--and then XP in a VirtualBox every once in awhile. As far as email and browsing, there's no difference in Linux.

My 13-yr-old is running w8 but I can't really use it properly even if I wanted to. (I don't want to, as I think the dual-mode interface is cumbersome and not well thought out.) The reason I can't run 8 is because I use an IBM Model M keyboard (no windows keys) and a trakball (no scroll wheel). Microsoft's proper use of 8 requires both of those things: The mouse wheel to navigate the metro interface, and windows keys for shortcuts to do the stuff they removed from 7. So, no thanks for me.
Proper use? I don't know what that means but Win 8 is perfectly usable without a Windows key on the keyboard or a mouse wheel on the mouse, especially if you avoid the Start screen. However, the Start screen can be navigated easily without those pieces of hardware. It might be different than you are accustomed to but still usable.

BTW: The key combo Ctrl-Esc is the same as pressing the Windows key so your Model M keyboard will work fine with Win 8.

Last edited:
Proper use? I don't know what that means but Win 8 is perfectly usable without a Windows key on the keyboard or a mouse wheel on the mouse, especially if you avoid the Start screen. However, the Start screen can be navigated easily without those pieces of hardware. It might be different than you are accustomed to but still usable.
Seconded. And on top of that.... you don't even need to see Metro - EVER - once you have ClassicShell or Start8 installed ;)

In case anyone missed it... with ClassicShell, you launch Metro Apps from within the desktop just like programs.. though you still have the "hot spot" areas that are built into Win8, which are actually kind've nice once you learn where to trigger them. I can load up an App, do whatever I need, then nav to the upper-left, click on the desktop, and I'm back in familiar territory. The only negative here is that the app stays open in the background - BUT you close it by doing the same thing, but right-clicking on the app - then choosing Close from the context menu.

Cumbersome? Slightly. Though for as often as I use those apps (i.e. never), I'm good with it.

I'm on Day 2 of actually living with this thing, and, so far, I'm liking the improvements they made in the core system, such as faster loadtimes, etc. So far as stability, my Win7 has never crashed on me once in the near 3 years that I've used it, so I can't speak to that except to say that so far, Win8 hasn't crashed on me either!

Hindsight on Win8

Hindsight on Win8

In retrospect concerning my adventures with Win8:
Ok, in my previous post I may have been a bit hasty in my Win8 slings & arrows, BUT, most barbs were well founded. To clear up a couple points though, let me say this:
I did have an underlying fault in my system that wasn't Win8's fault. With so many variables in the fray though it was difficult not to jump to blame Win8. When I had to do a 'refresh' after only a week, it turned me against Wn8 when all along, (as I found out after resurecting Win7), that I still had an issue on my hard drive. I cured that and Win7 is happily running smoothly. Therefore I can only assume that if I were to reinstall the Win8 I paid $40. for now - that it would work ok. But that only speaks for the background part of the operating system. Oh, and I finally did receive a code for the Media Center - but it took a full week to the day! That's a bit more than the 72 hours MS wanted folks to wait. None of what I've mentioned so far will have me going back to Win8 though. The 'other' shortcommings I mentioned in my earlier post still hold true. To appease my bruises, I purchased a pretty facelift for Win7 by way of Stardock's Object Desktop. My desktop is so fancy now, I don't need Metro, to change the look of things :)

Newegg has a rebate (mail in) from 12/14/12 to 12/16/12 if you buy Windows 8 pro for $69.99 you fill out a rebate and send them the upc (normal rebate stuff) and they'll mail you a $40 visa gift card (should be usable anywhere visa is accepted). So it theoretically comes out to $29.99 for the upgrade version of Pro. Here's a description of the different versions/features between Windows 8 versions. It seems like pro is the likely one to go with unless you're using enterprise which has a few more features. I'm somewhat tempted just to see it, although I suppose next time I buy a laptop (unless I build one which is a growing temptation) I'll end up with it either way. It's one rebate per household btw so don't go stocking up based on this deal ;-)

lol. Maybe folks who have upgraded will start selling their windows 7 copies on craigslist?

lol. Maybe folks who have upgraded will start selling their windows 7 copies on craigslist?
If they do, I'm hoping to snag another one up! - I still prefer Win7 over Win8, though as I said previously, Win8 is certainly made more bearable with Star8/Classicshell installed.

That's a great find on the Win8 Pro UG pricing, Barythrin... For those that miss it but "qualify" for Microsoft's upgrade offer, you can pay $15 for the Win8 Pro UG license, then order your backup media for $15 at check-out (unknown if it's a retail/oem/disc-only version or not, however).

Though please note that's not needed unless you just want the original media. You can opt to download the software to a USB key or an ISO, both of which turn out to be about 2.9gb, and create your own media (I did the USB key option, burnt to DVD, then used that to install my OS)

I saw Windows 8 available at Sam Walton's empire for 69.99, but didn't see any advertisement for rebates. But for the times I've been ripped off by rebates, I won't bother.
I'm glad that MS put 16-bit subsystem application support back into Windows. I'm also glad that Windows 8 isn't limited to the tiled desktop and can be switched between "tiles" and the normal desktop. Lack of a Start Menus is a small price for familiarity.

Back