• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How to Survive the Windows 8 transition without experiencing chest pains

So far read most of the back read, and it was a good laugh, upgrading for security reasons, games.
Classical humour guys i take my hat of too you all.

I tried win8 pro for 2 months and windows defender is a joke and a bad one at that just about any anti virus scanner is better, except for panda perhaps.
And i couldn't game on my rig which is Rather solid same CPU as agent orange, FX990 board from Gigabyte, Video card from sapphire and plenty of RAM, Seen more BSODs then I care to count!

I reverted that back to Windows 7 Ultimate after windows 8 fried the MBR of the HDD it was on. (Plenty of BSODs do that to a system)
Crypt: I think your problems are deeper than W8. I run W8 on a mobo with a 990 chipset with all the bells and whistles, along with a 7970 video card. I play games like Far Cry 3 and have never experienced a BSOD. Also, I'm curious as to what
problems you've has with Microsoft Security Essentials/Windows Defender. I use all of the free stuff like Superantispyware, Malwarebytes, CCleaner, etc and seem to survive okay. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Windows defender is a bare minimalistic protection, I would go as far as calling it spartan.

Mine video card is an HD7700 class, Far cry 3 ran fine on my rig with win8 for two hours and after that It would pop up random BSOD's due to memory access violation.(MMU boundry got crossed)

But that migh be due that i do not have that much memory installed only 32GB RAM.

Windows defender is a bare minimalistic protection, I would go as far as calling it spartan.

Mine video card is an HD7700 class, Far cry 3 ran fine on my rig with win8 for two hours and after that It would pop up random BSOD's due to memory access violation.(MMU boundry got crossed)

But that migh be due that i do not have that much memory installed only 32GB RAM.

You say you have 32 GB RAM installed? That's just about max on most systems. I'd run the Windows built-in memory checker if I were you. If that checks out okay you may have an over heating problem.

Actually that is the first thing i check when systems random crash.
My system does not pass 65 degrees centigrate, which is a perfectly fine temperature since comercial electronics are rated up to 70 degrees. Besides that this is a UD7 board. (7 years waranty.)
Ambient temperature is 24 degrees in the case.

Silverstone RV01 is my case I have a Muggen3 to cool my CPU, and if you do not believe I am qualified to build such a machine I could post pictures.

I measured the temperatures with external equipment btw.

Last edited:
Actually that is the first thing i check when systems random crash.
My system does not pass 65 degrees centigrate, which is a perfectly fine temperature since comercial electronics are rated up to 70 degrees. Besides that this is a UD7 board. (7 years waranty.)
Ambient temperature is 24 degrees in the case.

It's not your CPU that may be overheating; it could be the GPU or other components. When you play a demanding game for 2 hours and then you get BSOD errors, 99% of the time that's a cooling issue. Keep checking. And I don't know what you mean about measuring with external equipment; your motherboard and CPU have heat sensors, what do they read?

Also, comments like "i do not have that much memory installed only 32GB RAM" make you look smug.

Last edited:
... I don't know what you mean about measuring with external equipment; your motherboard and CPU have heat sensors, what do they read?
Yeah, if it's 60 degrees on the outside, what is it on the inside...

Also, comments like "i do not have that much memory installed only 32GB RAM" make you look smug.
Not to mention "if you do not believe I am qualified .. I could post pictures." :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Based on the current Windows Blue design, MS has decided to stick with the Windows 8 UI model for the future.

Even Apple had a decline in computer sales so the whole sales drop can't be solely Windows 8 fault. Major declines were the cheap netbook segment; no OS or promotional push can get useless junk to sell. Both Dell and HP indicated that they were moving out of the low margin high volume model. I wish the reports had indicated how much was spent on computers; if the average price increases then Windows 8 has done the job the various OEMs wanted.

Windows 8 - the OS optimized for looking a pictures of kitties and clips of Family Guy.

Business should be worried. How are they going to operate their mission critical desktop-oriented spreadsheets and things now?

Windows 8 - the OS optimized for looking a pictures of kitties and clips of Family Guy.

Business should be worried. How are they going to operate their mission critical desktop-oriented spreadsheets and things now?

The desktop products will still work in the desktop. But there is a large number of business critical applications (dashboards and the like) that are built to a standard very similar to the Windows 8 Store (Metro) designs. Take a look at http://www.ntpro.nl/blog/archives/1706-vCenter-Operations-Your-Future-Performance-Dashboard.html for the vCenter dashboard. Doesn't it look a lot like a Metro app with the older style window borders framing the app? I think MS expected that the Win 8 Store App functionality would replace all the independent libraries that gave the same look to erstwhile Windows XP applications. Plus Live Tiles can be an informational replacement to Sidebar Gadgets but with many more features.

I have seen some prototypes for Windows 8 that could be very useful. However, there is a classic problem: companies won't upgrade to Windows 8 until new applications that benefit from Windows 8 are common but developers won't release Win 8 applications if most of the market is still using earlier versions. The opportunity to have full screen Angry Birds on a PC is not the strongest business case for buying Windows 8 in corporate environments. I would have done things differently. I understand MS reasons for doing what they did even if much of the effort seems more geared to getting people to browse the Windows Store instead of helping users work.

Major declines were the cheap netbook segment; no OS or promotional push can get useless junk to sell. Both Dell and HP indicated that they were moving out of the low margin high volume model. I wish the reports had indicated how much was spent on computers; if the average price increases then Windows 8 has done the job the various OEMs wanted.

Netbooks...cheap, yes...junk, I would have to say no. For many folks, I think a Netbook is a great solution. My wife has one she uses ALL the time. It's an Asus and she has put that poor thing through the wringer. Spilled coffee or soda into the keyboard once...dropped it while running and killed the hard drive...dropped it once such that a part of it popped open and needed snapping back together. And she's sitting on the sofa using it right now. And did I mention it was bought from Woot for $175 as a refurb? Thankfully, I've had no trouble with the required repairs...which are certainly not the manufacturer's fault! :) The in-laws have one...mom has one...and my wife's aunt was visiting us last week with her ipad...and she was all excited about this netbook thing she'd never seen before. Sorry...they don't seem to even make them any more! Ugh... My employer is working on implementing a timekeeping solution...and their recommendation in the past was for folks to use netbooks...so part of their whole business model has just disappeared (they support tablets and PC's too)... If you can't make money, then raise the price a little...don't just do away with the whole product...

I would much rather use a $175 netbook that I can do nearly anything with than a limited capability tablet that costs $500! I continue to be amazed at the folks that don't mind plopping down $500 or more for a tablet...I just don't get it...but that's probably just me...

Wesley

I would much rather use a $175 netbook that I can do nearly anything with than a limited capability tablet that costs $500! I continue to be amazed at the folks that don't mind plopping down $500 or more for a tablet...I just don't get it...but that's probably just me...

Wesley

The cheap laptop and the netbook are slightly different but the bottom end of both has faded from the market. Under $200, the screens are low resolution; the trackpad doesn't work; and (especially for netbooks) the CPU is too slow to handle many websites let alone modern applications. Note that Chromebook has increased in price from the original $199 model to models costing more than $400. Tablets have the virtue of being something new and their lack of a keyboard doesn't matter much considering how poor most netbook keyboards are.

The much anticipated Windows 8.1 Beta is now available for download. After making a careful backup of my present W8 system, I went ahead and downloaded and installed the Beta upgrade. If you are in a hurry you're going to be out of luck. This thing took the better part of the afternoon to download and even longer to install. I must have completely missing the point with this upgrade, as I didn't see anything that would be so aesthetically demanding as to make you wonder how you ever managed with just the original plain vanilla version. There must be a whole lot of code behind the scenes that we don't fully appreciate, as the new tiled desktop appears just as useless as the original release (IMHO), unless of course you are running a touch screen. I have a third party start button to get me to my W7 style menu, as do most of you. The Beta puts a shortcut/button 'thingy' on the bottom lower left side of your display, which slightly infringes on you third party add-on Start button. You'd get the same results if you just hit your Windows keyboard button, as it takes you to that tiled desktop that you probably never use. All of this aside, my biggest complaint is that there are some small compatibility issues, which makes my style of web browsing more difficult. I use Google, but not Chrome. I like the Google toolbar as I'm not a big fan of tab browsing with its myriad of open windows. The Beta version will not install or run the Google toolbar. If you don't use Google, or its tool bar, then I suppose there is no problem for you. Since this is just a Beta, maybe better things are ahead with the final release sometime this Fall. I fooled with the Beta just long enough to convince myself to reinstall my original configuration late last night. Hopefully someone out there will have the patience to wring out this Beta and make a case for it.

Yawn.

Windows 8.1 is more or less really just a service pack. They are just bumping the number up because the kids these days want rapid releases.

I saw a copy of Windows 7 listed in eBay's vintage computer section the other day :(

Back