• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How to tell if this is a Xerox Star?

MPnl

We had a Xerox box sitting around at work that was going to get thrown out, so I saved it and took it home.
But I had no clue what kind of system it is. I found a movie from vfed.org about the Xerox Star on Youtube, and my system looks exactly like it but how can I be certain? There is nothing on the system, or inside it, that looks like a computer type.

I had to take it apart to get it into the house; the whole thing was way to heavy to carry, which is consistent with a Star because they were supposed to weigh around 72kg (160lbs).
I only have the system itself, no keyboard or display. I also don't dare turning it on, since it hasn't run at least since the 90's.

I have taken some pictures of the interior and some parts, and I hope there are people here who can help me figure this out.

Once I know what it is, I can figure out what to do with it: my main goal is to give it a good home (computer museum or something like that), but I would feel dumb if I gave it away to someone who then sells it for a lot so some idea of value would also be nice.

The processor board has 4 AM2901CPC bitslice processors (shown at the top in the picture).
IMG_3362.JPEG
The front without cover (8" floppy drive at the top):
IMG_3353.JPEG
Side view without cover (lower left is the 8" hard disk):
IMG_3349.JPEG
I/O connectors at the rear:
IMG_3351.JPEG
IMG_3350.JPEG
Hard disk and floppy drive separate (the booklet in front is log that says the hard disk got replaced in 1987, and had no errors at that time :) )
IMG_3357.JPEG

Congratulations! Thats a Xerox 8010 with a Quantum 40mb hard disk and will run Star or Viewpoint just fine.
Now, you have to find a monitor and keyboard.

Where are you located? Guessing the Netherlands

Also, you don't want to just turn it on to see what happens.
All you'll see is the LED error display getting stuck during self-test
if it comes up at all. Also, the spindle lock is on the hard disk.

Last edited:
Congratulations! Thats a Xerox 8010 with a Quantum 40mb hard disk and will run Star or Viewpoint just fine.
Now, you have to find a monitor and keyboard.
That's really cool. Is there anything specific that confirms this for you, or is it simply that the 8010 is the only system from Xerox that looks like this?
Where are you located? Guessing the Netherlands
Correct (added my location to my profile).
Also, you don't want to just turn it on to see what happens.
All you'll see is the LED error display getting stuck during self-test
if it comes up at all. Also, the spindle lock is on the hard disk.
Makes sense. And without a keyboard and monitor, or the skill to do any diagnostics without those, there is not much point in trying to turn it on.
I did see that spindle lock on the hard disk but had not even checked if it was on or off.

Are you going to set it up with the Star OS? Any chance it come with a mouse?
Unfortunately, I only have the box. No keyboard, mouse, or monitor.
And my wife allowed me to take it home, on the condition that it wouldn't stay 😁 If I try to make it my own project, it's going to take forever. So I will have to find it a good home to keep the peace.

I was one of the people who worked on it if you have questions. Not having monitor and keyboard/mouse will make it more challenging. Don't know current value.

Some info on what we did.
https://lists.vcfed.org/pipermail/vcf-midatlantic/2020-August/018468.html
Very cool to read that report. It also shows that I should not attempt to bring this thing to life myself; I would definitely be in over my head. My experience with hardware does not go further than building PC's from the 90's and later from new components.
Thanks for offering help.

How is it going with the star project? Do you still have it? I live in sweden and have collected computers in about 10 years. A xerox star is on my wishlist... It does not happend to be for sale or trade?

Back