• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

HP 100LX from ebay - BIN for $70

Sharkonwheels

Veteran Member
Geez, what a nightmare...

got this 100LX on eBay, linkage HERE

$70 BIN, seller described it as "Here's a good HP 100LX for you. It runs well. The backup coin battery is running low, the double A's are new.
It runs tons of DOS software, I have QBasic loaded on it right now. It runs many older freeware compilers fine.
It has a PCMCIA slot and is compatible with type I and II. I've used Newton cards with it, as well as sandisk cards with a PCMCIA adapter. There's 1MB on board."

seller said "Here's a good HP 100LX for you."

Here's a photo walkthrough of this nightmarishly abused beastie:

Pix to cry over

There's a whole rightside hinge cover missing, left hinge is cracked.

..."Here's a good HP 100LX for you."

There is a, get this, HUUUGE piece of PACKING TAPE on the bottom holding the entire bottom and battery cover on!

The whole battery compartment is cracked, so if you are changing batteries, the center divider pops sideways, and the cracked sidepanel pops out

The PACKING TAPE has been on so dang long, the impression of the words on the bottom of the casing are PRESSED INTO THE TAPE!

Oh, and get this, he seller wants ME TO PAY TO SHIP IT BACK TO HIM!

What a friggin thief....

Photos were carefully taken to hide the defects, and even the missing hinge cover happens to be obscured by the photo hoster's logo... how convenient!

Oh, and last but not least, it was put into a PADDED ENVELOPE and dropped into US Mail. Padded envelope.

Pictures tell it all....

T

Is there a way to Overnight Express an ass-kicking? Mebbe we should invent one, sell 'em on e*ay. All we would need is a network of folks in various parts of the country (world?). When the customer pays up, we send 'Bruno' around for a quick visit. This could be a real money making venture. Where better than daBay to find a lot of pissed-off people looking to spend some $$$...?

--T

Is there a way to Overnight Express an ass-kicking? Mebbe we should invent one, sell 'em on e*ay. All we would need is a network of folks in various parts of the country (world?). When the customer pays up, we send 'Bruno' around for a quick visit. This could be a real money making venture. Where better than daBay to find a lot of pissed-off people looking to spend some $$$...?

--T

Hahahahaha , Bruno :) This was a good laugh in the morning :mrgreen:

Man, that's a 100LX in bad shape. What a rip-off...

USWA, Inc.

USWA, Inc.

I think someone posted a service like this on fleabay a while back but they removed it almost immediately. And they say they look out for the buyers.

Always demand good photos

Always demand good photos

When you're buying something you want to be nice... always beware those small fuzzy pics on ebay. If someone is a serious seller they should be able to provide several clear closeups.

OTOH, it could have been damaged in transit due to the shoddy packaging. I can't imagine anyone would put one of those in a bubble mailer! That's just asking for trouble.

Odd though, he does have a good feedback rating. Maybe he's just one of those people that doesn't take care of his stuff.

Seventy buck$ for a parts machine...?...??...???...

--T

Nah, never mind.. That is of course a stupid suggestion :rolleyes:

Let's just hope that he actually refunds you when you ship it back to him so you don't end up losing both your money and the LX.

Also, He will probably list it again on eBay to fool another poor buyer somewhere. If he does, send Bruno over to teach him a lesson.

Now that I had it in my hands, if you blow up the image, you can see the right-side hinge cover is missing. You have to look for it though, and you have to blow the image up like 3x to notice!

I plan on leaving something in the feedback, to the effect that if he relists it, know that it is JUNK!

:)

PayPal dispute said he agreed to refund the full $70 when he received it.
Priority Mail cast like $5 on it, so in the end, I'll be out $5 for nothing because of the seller.

T

Back