• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

HP Apollo 9000 owners: ever found a sticky residue on the HIL keyboard cable?

paul

Veteran Member
Everytime I unearth my 9000/735 to see if it still works I find the coiled-type keyboard cable is wet with an oily residue, no doubt leaching plasticizer from the vinyl.

It's 25 years old now and seems have an endless supply of the oily stuff as I clean it just about every year and it just gets worse. After I clean it this time I think I will store the cable in the fridge to try and slow down the process.

Any other owners noticed this?

IMG_1294.jpg

While I do not own this particular machine, I have noticed the rubber/plastic coatings of my vintage keyboards and mice have begun to deteriorate. I don't think storing it in the fridge will really help sadly, these aren't temperature dependent so much as oxidation/UV dependent. Really, I'd say it's about time for us to start making new replacement cables. Shouldn't be too hard, reusing connectors and all. If I did something like this I'd probably use a modern mesh jacket and use silicone wiring to ensure max longevity.

... I don't think storing it in the fridge will really help sadly, these aren't temperature dependent so much as oxidation/UV dependent...
5 years on I can report that keeping it in the fridge has halted the excretion of oily residue.

Ah, got it now... Fortunately the cable unplugs from the keyboard using these delicate "HIL" connectors that look like an early attempt at an RJ45 design.

IMG_2605.jpeg

Yes, this was an unpleasant discovery a few months ago. But it's better than the drippy goo that certain grey rubber feet have turned into over a similar timespan...

Ah, got it now... Fortunately the cable unplugs from the keyboard using these delicate "HIL" connectors that look like an early attempt at an RJ45 design.

Based on your photo, this connector looks to me like the SDL plug type. Maybe you could replace the entire cable using these plugs:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/5-1761184-1/1121987

OR

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/1-1761184-1/1121954

Back