• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

HP Vectra QS/16S Startup

JimLahey

I am having difficulty starting up this system "HP Vectra QS/16S Intel 386". It says please insert startup disk on on start up (see images). I have boot disk. I have setup disks of DOS 6.22 (see images).

I have read that I need specific startup disk from "HP Museum". I have ability to put HP Startup to a 3.5" floppy, but don't know what file(s) I need. Do I have to have this disk in every time I startup? I have a Windows 95 install CD too.

Thanks.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/so3jm2oxji39lso/AAArs7B_gEHgaaddw5cMpBHJa?dl=0

Most likely the battery that remembers the configuration settings has gone bad, so when you reboot the setup parameters are needed every time. You might get away with a warm reboot ctr-alt-delete or few minutes of "off time" while you check out the rest of the system.
If it is constructed like the Vectra ES and RS then the battery is a little square lithium battery pack (not rechargeable, not easy to find online anymore). you can disconnect the battery from the motherboard - measure the voltage just to be sure its dead after 30 years. You can cut off and re-use the cable connected to the battery pack and splice it to a new battery pack. I have used 4 x AA batteries in a battery holder from Amazon, with some stick on velcro to keep it in place.
just make sure you get the plug the right way round when you connect it back. Also mount it where the batteries can't leak on the system board in another 10 years time...

Do you have a hard disk in the system and is it MFM or ESDI ?

61TJ+UFW31L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Back