• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Husky hunter 16 - a new old toy

Wow, the Husky Hunter 16/80 really looks nice. Finally full CGA graphics in it's true glory (With that i mean "monochrome").

I assume this one also lacks PCMCIA or any other storge media?

Still for some CGA games a pretty cool machine. Looks like loads of fun.

Well, no changes in this, ,comparing to Husky 16. However, according to user's guide I have now, there were extra RAM modules available, and an interesting option as well - ability to burn an EPROM chip, which would work as internal ROM drive, with custom applications. No specifications or size of this EPROM chip are mentioned, unfortunately...

At least about 1,3MB free means a lot of DOS games, which can be run on it, though it means lot of copy and erase as well.

I think the largest EPROM i ever burnt was 1 MB. Not gonna say that there aren't any larger ones, but let's say much smaller ones (Like 32KB) were more common.

Too bad that my programmer decided to bite the dust, otherwise I would have burnt some games for you on 4MB EPROMS... they are like 5 Euro each now...

http://www.ebay.de/itm/181989278434

I have seen larger ones. But they are rare, expensive and take like forever to burn.

While trading in military surplus radio items, I've come across a fellow with a couple of Husky Hunter machines. Not Hunter 16; just plain old Hunter. They're green, and if I buy both of them then I get a manual. I haven't decided how interested I am in them yet, but they look kind of neat. In reading about them, they seem an awful lot like the TRS-80 Model 100 family, except in a ruggedized case that could double as a trauma plate. I found this thread and decided to drop by to see if my interest level might be modified, either up or down. I don't know what I'd do with one, especially considering its limited I/O features. I wonder if its COM port supports 45.45 baud 5-bit mode? If so, I might build a current-loop interface and use one as a virtual punch-reperforator in RTTY service...

20140618_144757.jpg

The Hunter is a Z80 variant and runs a flavor of CP/M with BASIC built into ROM. Hunter 16 and 16/80 are X86 and run MSDOS 3.x (I think). Pretty neat machines for the right price. Manuals seem to be the scarce pieces for either.

Tom

weird, I have never even heard of these things, today I saw one on ebay (decided to pass once looking it up) a 3 page thread comes back to life

The Hunter is a Z80 variant and runs a flavor of CP/M with BASIC built into ROM. Hunter 16 and 16/80 are X86 and run MSDOS 3.x (I think). Pretty neat machines for the right price. Manuals seem to be the scarce pieces for either.

Maybe I should buy the pair, scan the manual, then sell off one of them? ;)

Now there's a plan! I honestly prefer the original Hunters, they just seem to have more character. The 16/80 is nice with more screen real estate so's your not dodging about with a "viewing window" in whatever program you have running. I picked up a couple original Hunters earlier this year to go with my 16 and 16/80 and have enjoyed learning them. If you're thinking of picking them up, check for corrosion in the battery tube, it can a chore cleaning up. My 204k Hunter (the nicer equipped of the 2) suffered a keyboard ribbon cable failure not long after I got it up and running.

Tom

Some news - I have another Husky Hunter, this time - it's the model 16/80, and finally with original instruction manual as well:

I'm trying to emulate the Husky machines in MAME and so far have scans of manuals for the original Husky and Hunter, and have these machines emulated to a certain extent. Any chance of a scan of your manual for the 16/80?

Back