• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I can reform these right

Just need a couple minutes in the microwave to charge them back up.

Capacitor noob here who doesn't get the joke - it's the stuff leaking out of them, right?

Capacitor noob here who doesn't get the joke - it's the stuff leaking out of them, right?
Yeah, plus they're a type that's usually best replaced, even if they don't have "mushrooms" or "cauliflower" growing out the ends :p

I've had a couple of "habemus papam" situations, both with the same computer model: a Triumph Adler Alphatronic PC (known in the US as Royal Alphatronic PC).
The first one took us for surprise, but when the second came I started the countdown...

5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0 - PUFF!!💥

They burned exactly when the countdown reached zero... that thick white smoke... that very specific smell that gives any spine shivers no matter what... I love you, capacitor smoke!🥰

Glitch,

For some reason your image has disappeared. I would be interested in seeing what you posted for my own records...

Dave

Glitch, it's nice to see the manufacturer provided you a time to change indicator. Not all makers were so kind. Most made you have to do a bunch of tests and stuff. Just in case, I've got a bunch of late 1960's NOS Cornell-Dubilier cap's here if you want to replace those with, most of these are still lacking turnips growing on them. (for now). Sure to be good, I think........................... :whistle:

Glitch, it's nice to see the manufacturer provided you a time to change indicator. Not all makers were so kind. Most made you have to do a bunch of tests and stuff. Just in case, I've got a bunch of late 1960's NOS Cornell-Dubilier cap's here if you want to replace those with, most of these are still lacking turnips growing on them. (for now). Sure to be good, I think........................... :whistle:
The CDE computer grade ones are often fine, after a reform! Most manufacturers' axials are well past the "best by" date though. I've got a huge quantity of them in The Gym that I probably need to find a recycler for...

Back