• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I got a Philips PC today, Look :-)

QuantumII

Veteran Member
Hi

Today I got this Philips combo Luggable PC / Logic Analyzer

It's an IBM PC Clone with an 8088 CPU , 256KB onboard and 256KB addon-memory card.
It has a built-in amber monochrome monitor, and it's connected to a MDA clone card.

It has a 20MB NEC D5126 HDD, and a 360K Floppy drive.

It also has an adittional ISA card connected to the logic analyzer part of the system, which I have now idea on how to use.

It runs DOS 3.3

Pictures are below:

phil1.jpg

phil2.jpg

phil3.jpg

Everything sure is jammed in there really tight! I have a Dolch that is tight on the inside, too.

Can you post some lower-res pics for those of us that are on dial-up? This is, after all, a vintage site :)

Looks like a real interesting machine! Did you get any of the pods, manuals or software for the logic analyzer section?

You mean the small cables that you attach to the analyzer and the pcb you are testing ? I got those.

The software and manual for the logic analyzer is on the HDD. I plan to laplink everything over to my main PC for archiving.

Everyone: Sorry about the picture sizes. They are smaller now :)

Do you think that the amber monitor can display CGA if i replaced the graphics board? I don't think so myself, and I am afraid to try in case I nuke the monitor.

The monitor is actually connected on the outside of the case to a generic mda cone board, so you can easily disconnect the internal monitor to connect an external one. There's no internal connections to the monitor other than power.

They keyboard is also standard XT it seems.

About the floppy drive: DOS can only format disks to 360k, but maybe the drive actually supports larger disks? The drive look quite modern, with a small stepper motor much like the ones in 3,5" drives.. The floppy controller is onboard by the way, only the hdd has it's own controller.

No famous brand names inside, other than the nice NEC hdd. i could tell what kind of drive the machine had the first time I switched it on just by the sound it made when spinning up and calibrating :)

I think the ram board is IBM, at least the four 64kb silver chips has IBM written on them. I am not at home now so I write this entirely out of my memory of last night.

Last edited:
Back