• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I guess its that time of year again...

did you future proof further access? If so no need to shoot at them. IF I shot at them whenever I saw them Id be hauled away for reckless endangerment.
The critter{s} pulled back the aluminum flashing and gained access to the overhead by pulling the nails right out as they went. The Michigan DNR says if you trap one not to relocate it, but to drown it. That seems like a lot of work to me. It is against the law to discharge a firearm in my township, however, there is some legal ambiguity there if the situation presents a possible loss or damage to property or personal safety. One is supposed to notify the sheriff's office of their intentions. So, I have a Sig Sauer semi-auto pistol which has a 20 round .22 LR capacity. The report is no louder than a child's cap gun {are those still around?}. (P.S. I range qualified every 90 days for 20 years with my previous employer)

I had a contractor come in and fix all of the problems on the roof's eave as well as replacing all of the overhead insulation through my homeowner's insurance. The insurance company considered it as a HazMat. So, racoons, squirrels, opossums, and skunks will be delt with accordingly. PETA take notice.

Last edited:
The critter{s} pulled back the aluminum flashing and gained access to the overhead by pulling the nails right out as they went. The Michigan DNR says if you trap one not to relocate it, but to drown it. That seems like a lot of work to me. It is against the law to discharge a firearm in my township, however, there is some legal ambiguity there if the situation presents a possible loss or damage to property or personal safety. One is supposed to notify the sheriff's office of their intentions. So, I have a Sig Sauer semi-auto pistol which has a 20 round .22 LR capacity. The report is no louder than a child's cap gun {are those still around?}.

I had a contractor come in and fix all of the problems on the roof's eave as well as replacing all of the overhead insulation through my homeowner's insurance. The insurance company considered it as a HazMat. So, racoons, squirrels, opossums, and skunks will be delt with accordingly. PETA take notice.
I have the same fear with Bats.. do to a spotted nose fungus thats killing all the bats in my region they are now on the endangered list so if they invade your home you cant kill them. You basically have to see if the fish&game people will help or wait until they move out in the late fall and do all your repairs in the winter to keep them out. So far they just hang out all hummer under the roof eaves so I dont care.. anything to help with the insect onslaught.

Oh and carpenter bees.. They are doing a number on my eaves as well and they worry me. I have seen firsthand what happens with a major carpenter bee infestation... Hell any invasive wasp too.

I have the same fear with Bats.. do to a spotted nose fungus thats killing all the bats in my region they are now on the endangered list so if they invade your home you cant kill them. You basically have to see if the fish&game people will help or wait until they move out in the late fall and do all your repairs in the winter to keep them out. So far they just hang out all hummer under the roof eaves so I dont care.. anything to help with the insect onslaught.

Oh and carpenter bees.. They are doing a number on my eaves as well and they worry me. I have seen firsthand what happens with a major carpenter bee infestation... Hell any invasive wasp too.

Don't have the bee thing here yet other than fairly good sized yellow jackets. We do have some bats but there are people in the hood who put out bat boxes. Never heard of the spotted nose fugus thing and is it contagious?

Don't have the bee thing here yet other than fairly good sized yellow jackets. We do have some bats but there are people in the hood who put out bat boxes. Never heard of the spotted nose fugus thing and is it contagious?
Highly, but to other bats not humans. Here scroll down a bit and it explains it: https://portal.ct.gov/DEEP/Wildlife/Fact-Sheets/Bats

They are taking it really seriously as the bat population has dwindled alot in just a few years. They have even put up gates and fences to areas where bats have been known to roost to keep people out.. Parks, caves, under bridges, etc.

Irony being what it is. there is a Northern Barred owl.. A large one in my front yard on the pines right now. I snapped a couple distant photos with my phone.. (sorry they are terrible).. Seeing owls in the day is pretty uncommon but its an overcast rainy day. Couldnt get too close they spook easy. They see you coming from a mile away. If it was dusk I could get closer with a zoom equipped camera but he will be gone.owl.jpgowl2.jpg

Bats are an occasional problem here mostly because of rabies. At dusk, I mostly hear great horned owls--I think they come looking for chipmunks. This time of year, the pond just below the house is crazy with frogs at night.

The critter{s} pulled back the aluminum flashing and gained access to the overhead by pulling the nails right out as they went. The Michigan DNR says if you trap one not to relocate it, but to drown it. That seems like a lot of work to me. It is against the law to discharge a firearm in my township, however, there is some legal ambiguity there if the situation presents a possible loss or damage to property or personal safety. One is supposed to notify the sheriff's office of their intentions. So, I have a Sig Sauer semi-auto pistol which has a 20 round .22 LR capacity. The report is no louder than a child's cap gun {are those still around?}. (P.S. I range qualified every 90 days for 20 years with my previous employer)

A suppressed 22 is literally slient. The hammer hitting the rim makes more noise than the discharge. Highly recommend getting a can for one

They sell lots of subsonic 22 long rifle ammo. Subsonic 22 LR is 1050 FPS I think, but I have some thats like 475 FPS. Here check this out: https://www.cci-ammunition.com/rimfire/cci/quiet-22/6-960.html

Basically plinking ammo or target practice. I can shoot it in my 1970s Ruger 10/22 Carbine, But my Ruger semi automatic pistol cant use it.. It doesnt get enough recoil to cock the next round since its so underpowered.

Highly recommend getting a can for one

Yeah maybe for those who dont live in states who USED to manufacture all the firearms for the country,, but are now HEAVILY anti-gun... (and because of that most of the Firearm facilities [colt, winchester, Marlin, Remington] have left the state with thousands of jobs. Id have better luck learning to walk on water. But those discussions are better kept somewhere else so I will leave it at that.

Last edited:
Yeah maybe for those who dont live in states who USED to manufacture all the firearms for the country,, but are now HEAVILY anti-gun... (and because of that most of the Firearm facilities [colt, winchester, Marlin, Remington] have left the state with thousands of jobs. Id have better luck learning to walk on water. But those discussions are better kept somewhere else so I will leave it at that.
I'm sorry man I know most people just say "move" but I know how hard that is. We are meant to grow where we're planted

Just getting ready to go and throw away the broken DEC Rainbow and do some work outside when one of my neighbors decided to come on through again.
IMG_20230523_101241.jpgIMG_20230523_101247.jpgIMG_20230523_101250.jpg

Notice the Young tree Lashed together behind him. A couple years ago a Bear decided he was mad at my sapling peach tree because it didnt have any fruit.. I guess. So he pushed it over breaking it in half. Luckily some of the bark wasnt torn and I was able to brace it up and it survived. IT will be a bunch of years before it can stand on its own Im guessing. You can see by the first photo there is no fruit this year. Guess the droughts of last year caused all 3 of my stone fruit trees not to have any blossoms this year so no peaches... At least The yellow cheeries are ok.

IMG_20230523_101255.jpgIMG_20230523_101257.jpg

I've got a mama bear and two cubs living on some of my land. They don't seem to bother people around here. ODFW says to leave them alone unless they attack pets or people.
With the wet winter and warm spring, however, ticks are something I really hate, particularly when they attach to my dogs. I've stocked up on permethrin.

I've got a mama bear and two cubs living on some of my land. They don't seem to bother people around here. ODFW says to leave them alone unless they attack pets or people.
With the wet winter and warm spring, however, ticks are something I really hate, particularly when they attach to my dogs. I've stocked up on permethrin.
Ticks this year are of control for us. Our german shepherd is on the prescription collar (similar to the drops behind the shoulder) and monthly chewables because she got sick a few years back from a tick bite. She used to just bring in dog ticks but this year we have found a bunch of deer ticks. Pulled one off me last night, felt it creeping under my shirt. I have found at least 10 ticks on me or my wife in the house already. Almost always after taking the dog out to do her bussiness. So this year is pretty bad.

We have a couple fox cubs so we have a den nearby. Only 2 cubs have been seen. Havent gotten a good photo yet of the cubs but we have been watching the mother for a month or two now. One of the kits was playing around our lantern outside last night but the dog bark scared it away. Im pretty sure they were close by.

I need to find a couple small solar cells to use on my two trail cams as the batteries and cold weather obliterate the many AA batteries they run off of. It would be nice to have a regular photo feed of whats coming and going again. Anyone know of such specific solar panels for trail cams?

Back