• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I have a mircoscribe 8425 and need help

allmacs

actually I have two of these microscope hard drives.
one shows error 0010- 'Code 2 - Interface chip diagnostic failure' and doesn't spin up

the other has error 1110- 'Code E - No hall transitions during spin-up' and doesn't spin up

I would like and try to get them running but need some help probably.

actually I have two of these microscope hard drives.
Miniscribe 8425

one shows error 0010- 'Code 2 - Interface chip diagnostic failure' and doesn't spin up
"Interface chip diagnostic failure" suggests to me that the drive's self-test code detected a problem on the drive's logic board.
If that is the case, the self-test code is probably not going to continue on to spin the drive (no point).
Try re-seating all connections.

the other has error 1110- 'Code E - No hall transitions during spin-up' and doesn't spin up
So, the drive has done what it needs to do to spin the spindle, but the spindle sensor (typically a hall-effect device) is not indicating that the spindle is spinning.
The cause may be 'stiction' - heads stuck to platter. If so, a light tap on the side of the drive may unstick the heads.

Miniscribe 8425

Yes. miniscribe... It's like I tried to change those book cooking crooks company name for some reason :D

So, the drive has done what it needs to do to spin the spindle, but the spindle sensor (typically a hall-effect device) is not indicating that the spindle is spinning.
The cause may be 'stiction' - heads stuck to platter. If so, a light tap on the side of the drive may unstick the heads.
I unstuck the head and it's spinning fine now.
Kept the drive spinning for a few days, maybe it'll help that the head won't stick anymore when I turn it off??? not sure.

"Interface chip diagnostic failure" suggests to me that the drive's self-test code detected a problem on the drive's logic board.
If that is the case, the self-test code is probably not going to continue on to spin the drive (no point).
Try re-seating all connections.
I've swapped board and found out that disk with the ROM error now had a hall sensor fault.
But the disk with the hall sensor issue now has a ROM issue. Maybe the board is bad???

I've swapped board and found out that disk with the ROM error now had a hall sensor fault.
But the disk with the hall sensor issue now has a ROM issue. Maybe the board is bad???
That is quite confusing to read.

Better that you now use "stiction" issue because that is what the error cause turned out to be. You tapped the drive then it started spinning.

By "ROM issue", I am going to assume that specically, you are referring to the error code that is listed in the manual as "Code 1 - Microprocessor ROM checksum error".

Somewhere on the drive's logic board will be ROM that contains code that the board's microprocessor is running. The ROM may be in a dedicated chip, or it may be part of a multi-function chip. One of the things that the drive's self-test will be doing is gaining some confidence that the ROM's contents have not been corrupted. A checksum is a way of gaining confidence. The self-test discovered that the ROM's checksum was not as expected.

Back