• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I need help with my first vintage typewriter please

computerdude92

Veteran Member
corona.jpg

Hello guys! I just purchased my very first typewriter! It is a Smith Corona, model Coronet Super 12, made in the 1970's. It is in excellent condition, and it looks like this one in the photo.

I was having a breeze typing one of my songs on it, even though I'm so young I never used one of these before. (I'm only 30)

But... all of a sudden, with no indication that the ink was getting low, it won't type anymore! There is no change in the mechanical functions. It still appears to work like it just did, just that no letters can be printed on the page.

I'm guessing the ink had instantly dried up? The ink roll does appear a little scraggly looking. How do I replace the ink or cartridge or whatever makes it work? Has anyone here used this model before or one similar to it? Can I still find replacement parts?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Very probably, your ribbon transport is somehow jammed (ink doesn't 'instantly' dry out) or the ribbon is not properly inserted.

Early Coronets were a bit simple and didn't reverse the ribbon transport direction automatically when it reaches the end - In case you have a ribbon reverse switch (on the top left of the keyboard, sometimes marked "REV", or with two arrows, unlike the one in your picture - some Coronets even had ribbon cartridges, these are a bit different as some are one-time use only, a picture might help), you might even have to switch ribbon direction manually.

Open the lid, check if the ribbon is properly threaded through the two ribbon guides next to the spools and through the guide in the middle, type a few characters to see if it is properly advanced with each keystroke.

If it's not and you have that ribbon reverse switch, operate it and see if it's any better. Most typewriter ribbons are made to be used hundreds of times.

Last edited:
I'm old enough, 64, to have actually used typewriters. But the typewriters I knew had all ribbons. These ribbons contained ink and if that dried up, no more printing. You could re-ink these ribbons but only a limited time: during typing the little metal hammers hit the ribbon to press the ink from the ribbon on the paper. But every hit damaged the fabric a little. Enough 'littles' and the fabric got so seriously enough damaged that there appeared holes in the character on the paper.
You can do three things:
- Find new ribbons for this typewriter. But I can imagine that the chance to find them are really slim. And if you find them, there is a big chance they are dried out.
- Find ink. No idea if you can find that. Simply ask in office suppliers.
- I knew a guy who cut his own ribbons after not finding new ones. Should be doable because the holders of the ribbons I knew where made of metal.
I hope this helps a bit.

Edit: just popped up, later typewriters used a kind of plastic folio to hold the ink and, unfortunately, they could be used only once. I hope your typewriters doesn't use these ones.

Ribbons are sold seemingly forever for most of the long lived typewriter models. Is it a side mounted cartridge? If so, a replacement will be about $15. I did a quick search and found several stores offering one.

The ribbon will dry out though it does take quite a few years. Take a careful look at the route the ribbon goes through before removing the old one. Taking a photo or two could be a good idea. I haven't replaced that exact model but I have made the mistake of missing a guide before.

It does appear not to have support for a multi-color ribbon so no worries about having the wrong setting.

I'm old enough, 64, to have actually used typewriters. But the typewriters I knew had all ribbons. These ribbons contained ink and if that dried up, no more printing. You could re-ink these ribbons but only a limited time:
Not quite 64 but I used typewriters in elementary school, rather while I was that age. I used my Parents Royal brande type writer. IT had to spools of red over black ribbon. It wasn't maintained with oil so striking the keys was not easy. This is how I typed up homework for a while.

I did come across later electric typewriters which uses tape and could erase.. Same era as the word processors but by that point I had an IBM 5160 and printer.

I have to assume other kids did their work on a typewriter too.

@computerdude92 thats a nice looking model. Dig the brown aesthetics. Funny thing eh? Most devices loose thier cases with time.. But that doesnt seem to be the case with typewriters.

But... all of a sudden, with no indication that the ink was getting low, it won't type anymore!
Is the ribbon still advancing? Your ribbon looks shiny so its likely either single strike or multi strike film ribbon unless picture artifiact. Single strike will stop at the end of the ribbon so that could be the sudden stop typing.

Seem to be plenty of places that say then sell ribbons.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=coronet+super+12+ribbon

Film ribbons are shiny plastic with coating on back side that makes the impression. Normal ribbons are ink saturated cloth.

Back