• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I received a IBM Convertable (5140) Yesterday.

dabone

Veteran Member
A customer send me as a gift a 5140 IBM Convertable yesterday, it seems to be in nice physical shape, but he couldn't find the power adapter.
What would be the easiest way to test this?

It specs 15V @ 2.7 amps, how bad would it be feeding it 19v from a standard laptop adapter?

Also, the connector is deeply recessed, what are the odds of using the battery connector to power it for a little bit to test?

Later,
dabone

If you are serious about keeping it running for the long run then I might have a spare power adapter that I can sell. If you are not serious, then you have a spare 5140 IBM Convertable to sell. :)

Does this one have two controls/adjustments on the screen or one? The screen with two adjustments was more desirable. Did any extra "slices" (CGA, serial/parallel, etc.) come with it? How about the printer?

Here is a picture of mine connected to the Internet running IRC using a Xircom parallel port to Ethernet adapter:

IBM_Convertible_IRCjr_1_smaller.jpg

Does this one have two controls/adjustments on the screen or one? The screen with two adjustments was more desirable. Did any extra "slices" (CGA, serial/parallel, etc.) come with it? How about the printer?

I've got the 2 slider screen, and one additional slice, I'm assuming parallel and serial due to the ports, (1 DB25 Male, 1 DB25 Female).
I also got the guide to operations, and the IBM carry bag.

2012-12-01_14-47-25_694.jpg2012-12-01_14-47-42_304.jpg2012-12-01_14-47-56_864.jpg

How much are you asking for the Power adapter?

Later,
dabone

The parallel serial slice is good to have.

I have to make sure I have the spare power supply. For obvious reasons I will send you a PM when I find it and we can talk pricing in private.

Mike

6 months ago, there was a local guy (45min drive) who had an IBM 5140 amongst a few other machines, all from his local shop. He actually used to be one of the customers for the cable co I work for, so I messaged him (not revealing my affiliation with the company in case he had a bad taste in his mouth - laugh)... he hadn't tested the system (power cord was frayed and he didn't want to risk shock), and as such, I was only looking to put $25 in it untested. It went for $28 on eBay. In hindsight, I should've bought the damn thing :)

Ah well... I've enough 8086/8088 systems anyways! - dabone, let us know how she runs when you fire her up!

I got the power supply today, and fired it up.
It's a backlit display, but the transformer on the display is very very noisy, and took a while to actually keep the backlight on.
The display also has a few marks on it, like someone adjusted it while pressing on the screen, It's just a bit brighter in spots, but distracting.
The computer itself has 640k, and both floppy drives are working. The keyboard seems to be ok, and I still remembered a little bit of IBM basic to test with.
Currently I'm going to leave it plugged in over night and see the results tomorrow.

Later,
dabone

Ok, I was browsing ebay today and found a backlit display with the following warning.

NOTE: Operation of this screen on the IBM 5140 Laptop computer requires the " Back Lit Power Supply ". It is distinguished from the Standard Power Supply by a Horizontally positioned Electrolytic Capacitor being located above the aluminum heat sink on the component side of the power supply.

Can anyone that has a backlit display check what model power supply is working and the volts/amps?

I've got a P/N 2664220 power supply.

Thanks.
Later,
dabone

P.s. It still annoys me that I misspelled convertible in the subject.... hint, hint....

I have a non-backlit model with power supply P/N 2684292 with the Astec logo below. Not going to check for a capacitor though, as I'm not into tearing apart the cord.

Back