• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I think I have a problem....

Kurthamm

Experienced Member
So, I am sure my story started like everyone else's. I happened upon an old computer while window shopping on ebay. It was an Apple IIe and I had always wanted one when I was younger. I just couldn't afford it. Well, now I could and I got the computer with a bunch of software. I played on it for hours.

Then... I started trolling the ebay Vintage Computing section. Wow! There was an original DEC Rainbow 100! I used to sell those a very long time ago. I gotta get one of those.

I think you know how it went from there. Kaypro! Tandy! Osborne! COMMODORE! Oh, the computers of my youth.

Here is my current collection: http://pinterest.com/kurthamm/vintage-computer-collection/

With each purchase, I told myself "This should do it". Yeah... Right...

Well, now I have entered Phase II of my Vintage Computer Addiction. Upgrades/peripherals/spare parts. I mean, these things aren't going to last forever and you need to have some backup equipment! I gotta have a serial board for my TRS-80 Model I expansion unit. My DEC Rainbow has a color adapter card and I would really like to find a VR-241. Actually, it would be nice to have a Rainbow 100+ with a hard drive! Oh yeah... You know, my IBM PC collection is not really complete without a PC AT 5170.

So, my only recourse is to have my wife change my ebay password and never let me have it. I need to find a good support group. Retrocomputing Anonymous. I am going to do that just as soon as I find that perfect IBM 5153 Color Monitor.

I really need one of those.

Kurt

Well, that's how it starts. I see you have 12 computers now. Wait till your collection swells to 100 or 200. Then you really have a problem! You can always justify it by renaming it from your collection to your personal museum.
And yes, it is some sort of addiction. But just not having any money will tend to curtail your buying habits.

I have 4 pallets of stuff in the basement, several shelves in the garage plus a several randomly throughout the house... We need to have more swap meets or something..

I used to resell a lot of vintage/surplus gear, but ended up with tons of it around the house after finding a real/full-time job. Finally got tired of trying to spend my little bit of free time fixing up stuff just to sell, so most of it went to the MIT Flea with the explicit requirement that it not come home, even if that meant it went home with one of the scrappers. We actually made quite a bit of money off of it, and only the real junky stuff ended up with the scrapper (boxes of ISA modems!).

That Osborne 1 is my favorite. It is the most popular of the computers I have. Everyone is fascinated with it.

Very Unique.

Kurt

I've really avoided upgrades for the most part. Not hard for me to justify enjoying the more stock performance of the systems, plus upgrades can easily out value the systems themselves so pretty big money pit IMHO. I'd be interested in getting some of the modern NIC or SD/CF storage devices on several systems but it's still the same, $80 for hardware that I rarely really need to use so it's hard to justify when I can also usually find another system for that price lol.

Good luck though whichever direction you want it to go :)

I think you misunderstand my use of the word upgrade. I also enjoy the normal operation of vintage computers. I just want to improve a given unit. For example, my DEC Rainbow came with the dreaded fungus on the screen. I have conversed with many people on this board about repairing it. Then, I came across an eBay item. A vr-201-c. No power or monitor cord, but I could see it had no mold. I picked it up for $40 and got it today. It is pristine and works great. Now, my Rainbow is better.

Part of the fun is rolling the dice on eBay items when you notice something that maybe nobody else has noticed. I have had my share of flops, but mostly I have been happy with my bets. I have purchased entire units to get a certain card and the cost was lower than the actual card people had listed.

My post was "tongue in cheek" for those who might have missed it. I love this hobby regardless of who gives me strange looks.

Retro on!

Kurt

Yeah, you'll probably end up with a few more goodies from here. :)

You've amassed a good start on your collection. I suspect it'll continue to expand as you find more goodies. It seems like one's collection is never complete. There's always that one more item that once you've seen it, you must find one. Then before you know it, the floor is gone and you have a true collection.

Another good source for old computer hunting is local e-waste events. It really gets fruitful when long standing local companies clean out their storage rooms and find old computers to take. I got lucky last year at the event I run and got an IBM 5170 (and other loads of stuff). And from running these events, the stuff sure accumulates in my basement. :)

Back