• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I thought I was cool.

Jast

Mpost of my stuff is fairly recent. nothing older then 1980. The more intresting things are:
A 250 Lb wang mainframe with 8" floppy(great for inside jokes)
1980 at&t with 2 10 gauge power leads bolted straight to the mb
2 trs-80 4p's
and panasonics version of the coco/commodore
I cant find anything about the wang. It has 2 bnc jacks that say output which im guessing might be for a b&w screen. I got ALOT of documentation on it but ts mostly end user type stuff for secretaries and I have 20 8"floppies to go with it. mostly owrd processing stuff. Also i have a couple hp vectras with 2 mfm hardrives each. i think they might be worth money? Double hieght mfm hard drive. every version of the trs-80 color computer, a ps/1(powered by the monitor which I have never gotten) . 2 casio/tandy zoomer pdas(8088 processor!) and a trs-80 pc-8
I would give anything for something that takes paper tape or programs in octal.

So far Im the only person ive met around PA that collects this stuff. So lonley:(

I'd say the Wang machine was cool. Actually, it sounds very cool.

As far as I'm concerned anything with 8" drives is awesome.

The other stuff you've mentioned is great also. . .

Welcome to the forums!

Erik

"Erik" wrote:

> I'd say the Wang machine was cool.

"Was Cool" Erik? Isn't it still! :)

> Actually, it sounds very cool.

Though hang on, you said it "Was"
not "Is"! :)

> As far as I'm concerned anything
> with 8" drives is awesome.

I haven't had the real pleasure! ;-)

> The other stuff you've mentioned
> is great also. . .

And all the other machines welcomed
here! :)

Cheers,
CP/M User.

Kewler than you think.....

Kewler than you think.....

A Wang mainframe? Dude that is cool. I've got a mainframe sitting in wait form me (IBM 360) but I have to find a house first (it just ain't going to fit in the apartment)

As to the MFM drives being worth something?
Baring someone haveing a mission critical machine that still uses them here is how much they are worth (from my days dealing in used equipment)

The drive as is- about $.04 a pound
Seperate the board from the rest of the drive: $.08 a pound for the board
Bust it down completely- you can get about $.45 a pound for the magnets and platters

-ShirKahn

Lessee...

My PDP-8F has a most recent manufacture date of 1973 on one board the rest are older. Runs nicely, love the blinkin lights.

I have two LSI-11s, they run.

Several, three at last count PDP-11/23s versions from the dual with through the 23B and an 11/73. Also running, Rt11 and Unix V6 on RL02
and RD31.

8 VAXen, mostly 3100/10e and a few /76gpx also some MV2000s. I prefer the MicrovaxIIs though and have two. VMS, 24x365 and no damm reboots.

I also have a serious collection of CP/M machines, My NS* Horizon is 1977 vintage as I built it then, still using it for single chip CPU development and the like. Also Compupros, and CCS for the S100 herd alone with my original Altair. The Non S100s include AmproLB, Visual 1050, DEC robin (VT180 and VT185). Also collect and run SBCs like the SC/MP, ELF, Nibble(NS SC/MPII with Tinybasic), techico 9900, Intersil 6100 sampler.

Allison

wow I guess i am cool. the wang is in its own original 4foot cube frame with wheels(wanna ride the wang?) and literally has a 1-1/2 inch thick countertop for a lid. it has those crazy serial port variants rs-487 or something and another i dont remember . ive been curious as to the differences in the rs's. My friends dad and mom used to live in new hampshire and work for wang but they divoced and he lives with his mom. I think she was a secretary.

250 pound wang

250 pound wang

Is that built in a case with a handle like a huge suitcase? We had a bunch of those at work years ago if it is. They had 8" floppy drives for data but the OS was on a 20" (I think) platter. Those platters had to be professionally cleaned every 6 weeks or they became unreliable. It was a real pain.

I never had much to do with those systems. They were legacy systems that were being phased out when I started working there. But I did have to modify a couple of programs on it. They were in a very strange flavor of basic.

Barry

Back