• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I wish...

Most of us here have a collection of vintage computers.
And of course, most of us want more, or computers impossible to find or afford. (Apple I, perhaps?)

So, just as a funny thought, what do you all wish you had in your collection?

Actually, I got this idea from a piece of notebook paper I found dated 10/18/00 in my desk that had all the vintage computers I wanted on it, a few days after I discovered how much I wanted to get into in.
*Commodore PET 2001 (following a paper trail... more on that later)
*Commodore 64 (check mark)
*Commodore SX-64 (getting one soon)
*TRS-80 Model 4 (hopefully getting one soon)
*Atari 400/800 (check mark)
*IBM PC (check mark... its a clone though, but who cares)
*a computer with an acoustic modem (I'm actually getting a might-be-working acoustic modem, but I'll need to work on a comp to hook it up to.)
BTW: if your unfamiliar with acoustic modems, they are the things that you put the phone on top of when you hear the tones. Still don't get it? Watch one of my favorite movies: War Games. The main character has one at home.
*Intellivision (check mark)
*Atari 2600 (check mark)
*Atari XE (check mark)
*Macintosh (check mark is scribbled out cause I'm still trying to fix the monitor on mine)
*Apple IIGS (check mark)

OK, so I accomplished a lot in the past three years. I'm guessing I made this list half knowing what I could get.
I mean to wrap things up, I would want my entire basement turned into a computer work room, with all the trimmings for my stuff.
For now, all I have are a few desks and tables near outlets: no worries though, dehumidifier is running 24/7!

A dehumidifier would be a great thing to have! Why did I give mine away?

I also have most of my computers in the basement.

I would love to have a pocket computer again, like my first computer I ever purchased, a TRS-80 PC3A.

I don't know what they really are, but I would love to have one of those filing cabinet type computer things you often see in old sci-fi shows (like Dr. Who), where they have those big tape wheels spinning away.

Chris

I'd love an IBM PC and a PC/XT to more or less complete, in the lesser sense, my IBM PC-era collection. I'd greatly love to have a few early Apples, too (II, IIc, etc.).

I would however give anything (if I had anything to give, hehe) for an original S-100 system, like an Altair or an IMSAI. I'd just spend days on end flipping the switches doing binary programming, hehe!

Another type of legacy computer which I wouldn't mind having is the Unisys "Icon"'s from the mid-80's. They're pretty obscure because they were specifically made only for schools in Ontario, Canada. Used Intel 80186 processors with 16KB of RAM or something like that, built in monitor with 83-keyboard and trackball. They're all but totally destroyed now, as far as I can tell, making them very rare indeed... I remember using them when I was in Grade 1. Oy.

I'm not sure if you're looking for a general want list or a true dream list.

On my want list are a Sol 20, an IMSAI 8080, an Apple II (not Plus) and a few other similar era machines. Most of the rest I've managed to acquire over time.

On my dream list are an Apple I, a Mark-8 and a Scelbi 8H, amongst a few other really rare items. Fortunately I'm not into prototypes! :)

Erik

My wish list: (not counting machines I have owned in the past)

Sol 20 (I fell in love at first sight of this one!)

Kim I

Northstar Horizon (with wooden case and hard drive)

IBM PC Expansion Chassis

Compaq Portable 286 (for parts -- mine's not working)

Lear-Siegler ADM 3-A terminal

ASR-33 teletype (with punch and reader)

Non-Linear Systems KayComp (predecessor to the Kaypro)

Kaypro Robie

Osborne Executive

Osborne Vixen

Victor Portable (Compatible with Victor 9000)

Seequa Chameleon

Anderson Jacobson Passport/Bytec Hyperion

Zorba

Epson PX-8

Grid Compass

Otrona Attache 8-16 (with 8086 board)

Zylog MCZ-2-60

...and a few dozen others which do not come to mind right off.

--T

Things I want for my collection?

Let's see, A NeXT Nitro board, a MaxxBoxx, G4 cube (rather modern, but cool), Sgi Crimson the Jurassic Classic version, deskside Onyx, TI99/4a that I once had with PEB and all of my carts, my Tandy Model 100's (sold them on ebay in a moment of weakness), a Mac 128, a Lisa 2/10, a TAM, another BeBox, a Sgi Personal Iris and a iMac (also not old, but I want one).

Re: I wish...

CaptainCommodore said:
Most of us here have a collection of vintage computers.
And of course, most of us want more, or computers impossible to find or afford. (Apple I, perhaps?)

So, just as a funny thought, what do you all wish you had in your collection?

Actually, I got this idea from a piece of notebook paper I found dated 10/18/00 in my desk that had all the vintage computers I wanted on it, a few days after I discovered how much I wanted to get into in.
*Commodore PET 2001 (following a paper trail... more on that later)
*Commodore 64 (check mark)
*Commodore SX-64 (getting one soon)
*TRS-80 Model 4 (hopefully getting one soon)
*Atari 400/800 (check mark)
*IBM PC (check mark... its a clone though, but who cares)
*a computer with an acoustic modem (I'm actually getting a might-be-working acoustic modem, but I'll need to work on a comp to hook it up to.)
BTW: if your unfamiliar with acoustic modems, they are the things that you put the phone on top of when you hear the tones. Still don't get it? Watch one of my favorite movies: War Games. The main character has one at home.
*Intellivision (check mark)
*Atari 2600 (check mark)
*Atari XE (check mark)
*Macintosh (check mark is scribbled out cause I'm still trying to fix the monitor on mine)
*Apple IIGS (check mark)

OK, so I accomplished a lot in the past three years. I'm guessing I made this list half knowing what I could get.
I mean to wrap things up, I would want my entire basement turned into a computer work room, with all the trimmings for my stuff.
For now, all I have are a few desks and tables near outlets: no worries though, dehumidifier is running 24/7!

How can you want an intellivision and not want a Colecovision also?

Maybe Captain Commodore already has one :)

I got my intellivision when colecovision just came out, and lots of people could not uderstand why in the world I chose the intelli over the coleco.

I just liked the games more on the intelli than I did on the coleco, although the graphics of course were way better on the coleco. I just wasn't in to it as much.

Chris

The colecovision was the first console that had the power to run early arcade games exactly as they looked in the arcades. Think I have the colecovision emulator for my dreamcast with all the games (same for 2600, 5200 etc).

I had a friend who had the Intellivision with voice addon and b-17 bomber and it was fun to play, just had different type of games for it.

You hit it on the head... the coleco was really arcade oriented.

Venture was done really well I thought. So was Zaxxon.

God, I must have played B-17 bomber like it was going out of style.

My favourite intelli game was Tron Deadly disks. Lots of nerves lost playing that game!

Chris

I'll tell you why I wanted the Intellivision- Utopia.

I also want a Coleco Vision, but they sell 100-150 bucks on eBay.. if they're worth buying at all, that is. I already have a 2600 and a 2600 Jr... plus the Intellivision. I guess no one thinks the NES is really vintage since you can still buy them at gamer shops.

But listen to this, if you can hardly call it vintage...
I have no room for a Coleco, because...
*Atari 2600
*Intellivision
*NES
*SNES
*Sega Genesis
*N64 (a great piece of history to have! seriously!)
*Dreamcast
*XBox (not vintage in the slightest :lol: )
*Atari XE (Ball Blazer rules)
*PS One

That doesn't even include my portable consoles! So, if I find a place for a Coleco Vision, I'll get one. :roll:

.. hehe, just kidding... cause I gotta get the money first!

Heh, a PET 4032, an Apollo DN4000, a Xerox 6085, a Sun 4/110, a Sun 3/50, a Sun 3/80 and a Sparc Ultra 1 please! Not that I've got the space to put them any more :)

I'm not going to go into listing all of my stuff, but last I counted, I reached 146 computers. And that's just the main units - not counting monitors, printers, joysticks, keyboards and what-not.

Just thought I'd mention it :wink: ...Most of it's making the loft floor buckle under its tremendous weight!

I wish that I still had the (working) Intel PDS (portable development system) I hauled out of a skip about 15 years ago, I thought that it was a seriously cool bit of kit, but obviously just outdated junk back then. (it was a luggable 8085 based CPM machine, white, black foldout keyboard on the front, a 10" monitor, and a little box for podules and floppies built into the top) My Dad insisted that I put it back again, and as I was living at home, back it went. Serious regret! been looking for one ever since.

Erik said:
I'm not sure if you're looking for a general want list or a true dream list.

On my want list are a Sol 20, an IMSAI 8080, an Apple II (not Plus) and a few other similar era machines. Most of the rest I've managed to acquire over time.

On my dream list are an Apple I, a Mark-8 and a Scelbi 8H, amongst a few other really rare items. Fortunately I'm not into prototypes! :)

Interesting that this thread popped up again. Since my post I've added all three of the "want list" machines to my collection but none of the dream machines.

I did get a Kenbak-1 in that timeframe and it wasn't even on my list, so count me happy! :D

I only have a few things I really want, I'm progressing slowly!

1)An IBM PC
2)Commodore PET

thats it really, an acoustic modem would be nice but I'm probably to dumb to set it up.

Wargames is my favourite movie!

How about a nice game of Chess?

Nice IMSAI in there too. :)

Back