• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ibm 380ED

seabass1858

I installed win 98se on my ibm 380 ED after it had windows 95 originally. was this a wise choice or was win 95 better for it. I can still get on the internet but with IE6 i can actually view you tube videos.

If 98 runs acceptably, it's the better choice. The main thing about 98 vs 95 was memory. If I remember right, 32 meg of RAM or so was the minimum I was comfortable running 98 in. And if you had enough power to run 98, I did find 98 to be a bit harder to crash than 95 was.

you tube

you tube

you tube was playble with the right shock wave player but barely and searching was a pain in the a$$ for it. I have 32mb of ram and 2gb hdd and im running 166 mhz

You can do up to 80MB of RAM on that model which would be better for Win98se. For 32MB I might have just used Win95 ver C (with some USB support, OEM CD only).

No idea why you would want to run Youtube on a P1, there just isn't enough CPU there to be worthwhile. It is decent for old Win95 games or OS/2.

you tube

you tube

its just to see if the retro technology will work you tube thats all. i just upgraded to 64 mb because thats all i could find.

its just to see if the retro technology will work you tube thats all. i just upgraded to 64 mb because thats all i could find.

Oh yeah, old pentium 1 computers can browse the internet fine. I have my pentium 1 IBM boosted to 384 MB of RAM running windows 98SE (Pentium 1 200 Mhz chip, I'm planning on upgrading it to 233 Mhz later).
The ONLY issue is the aforementioned shockwave flash player. Old versions of flash do not like Opera 10.

Back