• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 5150 : are all ISA sound cards compatibles ?

Dizzy33

Hello,

I would like to add a sound card into my 5150, I own about 10 different sound cards, of different generations but all with an ISA 16 bits connector. I know a few 16 bits ISA sound cards have been reported to be working well on the 5150, but I don't know which models exactly. I own a Guillemot Maxi 64 sound card, is it compatible ?
What other 16 bits connector sound card may be compatible with the 5150 ?

Thanks

Last edited:
You can use also all non-PNP Sound Blaster 16 / Vibra cards like the CT2910, CT2800, CT2290...

I can assure you that the SB Pro works in an 8086. My friend had one in the late 90's. We used to play Silpheed in CGA with the music blaring at all hours of the night.

Be careful... The 5150 IBM PC only has 8-bit slots; the cards that you mention are 16-bit cards, and AFAIK do not play with in 8-bit slots.
Yes, all of them work in a 8 bit slot (except the IDE port). I use them in my Turbo XT machines.
To use the 16 bit audio you must set the same value for high and low DMA. If you don't do this, they will still work as Sound Blaster or Sound Blaster Pro using only low DMA.

Back