• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

IBM 5150 computer new in box

Are you sure this is unused? I’ve never seen a 5150 with half height drives originally installed. I’ve got a couple of later XT (circa 1986) with original half height drives, but they look different from these.

Anyway it looks very nice. Good luck with your sale.

It's in very nice condition, but doesn't seem unused. If you bought it new, maybe it was handled before you got it, perhaps by the IBM dealer. There are small scuffs on the side and it looks like something has been plugged into the parallel port, at least.

Did the 5150 even come in the box with these cards bundled?

"New old Stock" = used, but sells better when telling people it is new (wear on floppy levers e.g.)
"not powered up" = broken, as it makes NO SENSE to list something like this without testing - and you'd only say "untested" if it does not work

Anyway, it's at least an auction and not some crazy buy-it-now for $1000...

I have relisted and corrected the listing based on your suggestions above. However, it is NOT broken and is unmarked. I did break the old seal, but cannot be certain. I am not an IBM guy. I am not trying to mislead and appreciate the comments

This is a 5150-104, which was the rare 64K cassette-only base model! The original dealer must've installed the aftermarket floppy drives, and presumably populated the rest of the RAM sockets on the motherboard to bring it up to at least 256K.

Well that explains it. Perhaps it is new then, or at least unused since the dealer added options. I wonder how many dealers chose to go this route to make a little money on, presumably less expensive, after market parts.

It would be cool if the extra blank panel were stashed inside the case somewhere, but I assume they just tossed it when they installed the drives.

I find it wild that it was still offered without floppy drives at all at that point in time. So it just had blank plates across the entire front of the unit?

I find it wild that it was still offered without floppy drives at all at that point in time. So it just had blank plates across the entire front of the unit?
Mostly to be able to advertise a lower base price, regardless if anyone actually used that configuration or not. Likewise I believe it was possible to buy a PC with a disk drive but not enough RAM to actually run DOS!

Back