• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 5150 Post Beeps, but that's it, help me!

Set swithes 5&6 to "None display adapter" and IBM posts O.K. i.e. single short beep.
Duff EGA card then?

Do we know what revision the BIOS chips are? Early 64K versions of the 5150 don't support BIOS extensions that would be required to get an EGA or VGA card going. In this case "None" for the display type means exactly that.

What printing is on the BIOS chips on the motherboard? (Not that I expect a real answer from the OP)

BTW, if the PC has a parallel port installed, one way to see what's going on even without a working monitor is to hook up a printer, and then just hit the Print Screen key. Then you can check the BIOS date by letting it boot into Cassette BASIC and then typing in this one-line program, and Print Screen-ing the output:

DEF SEG = &HFFFF : FOR X = 5 TO 15 : PRINT CHR$(PEEK (X)); : NEXT

Do we know what revision the BIOS chips are? Early 64K versions of the 5150 don't support BIOS extensions that would be required to get an EGA or VGA card going. In this case "None" for the display type means exactly that.

What printing is on the BIOS chips on the motherboard? (Not that I expect a real answer from the OP)

If you see the pictures at page 2, it states it's a 64-256KB board, so I expect the third version of the BIOS.

An inexpensive logic probe sould have answered a lot of questions. If I didn't have a monitor, I'd probably buy one of those scan converter boards seen on eBay for $35 or so. Much easier to ship and works with VGA monitors. :)

I know that I'm echoing some other folks, but it seems that getting some basic troubleshooting and repair tools for electronics would seem to be a necessity if you're going to collect these old boxes.

I've been holidaying but now i'm back!.
But still no solution to my IBM woes.

I'm still trying to locate a monitor but i really will give anything a try, if i can understand what it is i'm doing.
I did try typing PRINT CHR$(7) but no joy, but thats probably becuase i'm not 100% i carried out the command correctly.

The scan converter board sounds good if it works with VGA, you think ebay maybe? or anywhere else you can think of?
Thanks for everybody's help so far.

Back