• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 5151 Monitor Testing

PatrickXT

I currently have an XT with a 5153 color monitor and was considering looking for a monochrome display card plus an IBM 5151 monitor to use in a dual-monitor configuration. The 5151 pops up on eBay frequently, but the vast majority are untested. The color 5153 will present a blank white screen when powered on with no video signal. Should the 5151 display anything? I see some eBay listings indicate that nothing is shown when power is applied, and am not sure if that's normal. Without a PC, would there be any way a seller could determine whether a monitor works? I'm not proficient in CRT repair, so I'd prefer to locate one that's operational. Disappointingly even the couple listings that claim the monitor to have been tested with a PC don't provide any photographic evidence to back up that assertion.

You won’t see anything without a signal on a 5151, which is why I’m more likely to risk one that says it won’t power on than other monitors.

Some good info here: https://www.minuszerodegrees.net

There are test pattern or signal generators that can be used with a TTL monitor, but I’d imagine they are more rare than just a working computer with a compatible video card. If I didn’t have one already, I’d probably use a computer with an EGA card and easily accessible dip switches to configure for the correct TTL monitor.

Last edited:
Hello, I confirm, I have two 5151 monitors and both without signal do not turn on. If you open it you will still see the slightly illuminated neck of the picture tube. Sorry for my English

Back