• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 5151 Mono Monitor Partially Working?

Thank you. Yes, I think I will have no problem with soldering the wires to the connector. I've done that several times in the past with good success. It's the signaling of the monitor cable that is new to me. I'm more versed on serial RS232 cables and adapters.

Seaken

For what it's worth, the missing pins on the original tell me that it's a crimp-type connector like this:
SY2860281__03815.1385643589.1280.1280.jpg

No soldering necessary. Cheap--and Amazon even has a kit with 5 connectors, pins, and backshells for Fifteen smackers. That will probably keep you in connectors for years.

Just wait, some idiot will try to use a propane torch right under the gas tank on his truck to splice in a new speed sensor connector. If there's a good idea, there will also be someone to abuse it.

Just wait, some idiot will try to use a propane torch right under the gas tank on his truck to splice in a new speed sensor connector. If there's a good idea, there will also be someone to abuse it.
Which (being completely off-topic) reminds me of what happened to my pickup this past spring. Had just started carpooling with a guy at work and parked next to a crappy Ford Ranger to ride in with him. Didn't know there was a "meth head" in the truck when I left it there. He had ran out of gas and was asleep. When he woke up he was cold (it was chilly, but not what I call cold) but with no gas, couldn't start his truck. He had a propane torch in his cab, though....and guess what happened next???

Attachments

• IMG_20220321_114201633_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220321_114201633_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20220321_165742518.jpg
    IMG_20220321_165742518.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
Which (being completely off-topic) reminds me of what happened to my pickup this past spring. Had just started carpooling with a guy at work and parked next to a crappy Ford Ranger to ride in with him. Didn't know there was a "meth head" in the truck when I left it there. He had ran out of gas and was asleep. When he woke up he was cold (it was chilly, but not what I call cold) but with no gas, couldn't start his truck. He had a propane torch in his cab, though....and guess what happened next???
Am I allowed to laugh? I guess the lesson is to park way away from other vehicles when you can. Sorry T-R-A, that's terrible what happened.

Seaken

I am curious as to why the pin 7 seems well connected but pin 9 seems bad. I was wondering if having a bad pin 9 can exhibit similar results as a bad pin 7. Remember, I have no experience yet and maybe someone else does and knows the answer to my speculative query.
The function of each pin is shown in the MDA column of the 'Pin assignment' section of [here].

You are seeing a raster, and due to the design of the IBM 5151, that means that the pin 8 connection is good, i.e. proper horizontal sync pulses are being received and processed. If there was a problem with pin 9 (vertical sync), then the raster is expected to be unstable (unstable vertically).

Thank you @modem7. That is enlightening, even though it leaves me with the question of whether that pin which can cause vertical instability could also be blamed for no video. I guess I was dissapointed to see that the orange wire seemed to be the best of all of the wire connections. But then again it could still be mangled inside the connector where I can't see.

Anyway, I will do the repair and hope it cures it. If after I get good wire connections it still doesn't work then I will look elsewhere. It looks like at least one of the possible causes will require me to open the case. Not looking forward to that!

Seaken

He lit his meth pipe?

That is enlightening, even though it leaves me with the question of whether that pin which can cause vertical instability could also be blamed for no video.
Not unless the two subject wires/pins are in some way got connected to each other.

I guess I was dissapointed to see that the orange wire seemed to be the best of all of the wire connections. But then again it could still be mangled inside the connector where I can't see.
Exactly. Get the plug back in order and then see the results.

Am I allowed to laugh? I guess the lesson is to park way away from other vehicles when you can. Sorry T-R-A, that's terrible what happened.

Seaken
Sure. Go ahead. If nothing more, I learned never to carpool again, even if gas goes up to $30/gal.
He lit his meth pipe?
Probably. The sheriff's deputy said they "knew" the guy, which tells me he's had a record for some time.

Well, I gave it a try today. But it's a failure. I can't manage to solder the end connector. My eyesite is too poor and my hands are not steady enough. I used to do this type of soldering thirty years ago, putting serial cables together. But I can't do it anymore, at least not without special equipment that I don't have. And I don't think I want to invest in special equipment just to solder a few wires now and then. It would be differewnt if it was my trade. But I can live without this monitor. It would have been nice but I don't really need it.

Oh well, like I've said before, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. This one's a loss for me. On to something else.

Thanks for all the tips. I'm sure this thing can be fixed. Just not by me.

Seaken

As I mentioned earlier, have you considered crimp-on connectors? You attach (no soldering) the pins to the wires and then insert them into the shell.
About all you need to do is to strip the last quarter-inch from the wire ends.

When I had the job of running 25-conductor serial cable for 16 programmers to use on their terminals, that's all I used. Worked fine and no soldering.

Helping hands wire holder and some shrink wrap +solder connectors. Just need to get them in place on the helping hands and stick a heat gun to it.

They make DE9 connectors with screw terminals. Probably wouldn’t be the prettiest thing ever, but might get the job done.

Or perhaps you could disconnect the cable from the inside and mail it off to someone that could solder if for you? Not sure if the inside connectors fit through the case or not.

Thank you. Yes, I think I will go ahead and try the solderless connectors. I was disappointed in my failure at soldering since I had done it many times in the past. I will switch gears and go for the crimp-ons. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Seaken

Thank you. Yes, I think I will go ahead and try the solderless connectors. I was disappointed in my failure at soldering since I had done it many times in the past. I will switch gears and go for the crimp-ons. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Seaken
Console yourself with the fact the OEM connector was crimp-on. You're just making it clone correct!

Back