• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 5151 Tower?

Formulator

Experienced Member
I have an opportunity to pick up two of these - can anyone identify them? I could not find any information on my own.

uRmdNt9.jpg

Yeah, that too. :)

But if they're in good shape and cheap, you might pick them up. Old AT tower cases with speed displays seem to be getting less common.

... Old AT tower cases with speed displays seem to be getting less common.
I've got one that houses my tweener. I bought it over 25 years ago but I've never used the speed display. It's still says 20 like it did the day I got it. :)

It's got 3 5¼" bays and 2 3½" external bays.

If somebody wants it I'd be willing to trade for another nice tower case without the speed display since I don't use it (the speed display) anyway.

This is an awesome-looking computer. 2 HDD indicators, a zero wait state indicator, looks like it's got a little LCD screen with 2 more indicators below it. I've never seen anything like it before.

It has one of those odd Seagate ST-4000 series hard drive in it. Unfortunately these are voice-coil drives but I guess it doesn't matter because voice-coil or not, all hard drives will stop working soon.

Awesome and you should get both.

Picked them up, my only guess as to why they have IBM badges was perhaps to look more professional in a business setting.

GwEPeZm.jpg

Awesome! The small LCD thing is actually...a clock, lol. Probably runs on its own battery. Those are really nice cases though and genuine Teac floppies are good too.

i would have grabbed those for sure, but why somebody glued IBM Monitor badges onto the front of a generic tower case is beyond me. The built-in LCD clock is hilarious.

Back