• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 5161 on eBay

The 5161 Extender card will work in the 5150, 5155, and the 5160 64-256k board but not the 256-640k board. (if your 5155 was upgraded to the 256-640k then = SOL)

Are you sure about the 5155? As far as I know the 640KB upgrade is an unofficial mod, there is no official 640KB IBM 5155 MB. So why would IBM list it as incompatible w/ the 5161?

One of the bidders (the one who ultimately won it, actually) on the 5161 that I sold specifically asked me whether the serial number on the box matched the serial number on the unit. I hadn't even thought to check that (though yes, they matched), and it led me to believe that the original-ness was important to collectors. I guess not. :)

I think that is different. You were selling with a box so there is a different implication there vs. someone who is just selling a unit they found in the trash, in the back of closet, cobbled together, etc. It is also probably one of the reason yours sold for so high. This one will sell to, maybe for a bit lower but it will sell.

For me, I don't care if the parts are from various sources, as long as they're all IBM OEM parts and the correct type for that year.
No way in heck I'd pay $400-800 for an expansion unit. If it was here in NZ my budget would be in the $100-$200NZD range ($70-150USD).
I guess though, if you're rich and really really want one.........

It does come with two ST412's, still a $700 opening bid seems retarded.
It's a bit like antique stores I guess. Buy something for $20, value of which $40, resell for $60.

I respect your opinion regarding assembled parts but wouldn't be surprised if the guy got the screws wrong and many other little things which don't match. Would this item pass a forensics test? I doubt it. Also, If I was rich and really really wanted one, I'd get an original.

As for antique stores, I guess they vary, but often you're buying extra value because they're trusted experts and have stock ready for you. In that field too, it is considered sleazy to self-assemble parts. A dealer's reputation would soon bottom out if they did that. Nevertheless, to your defence, I must say that I've worked in the violin field, and even the Strads are completely rebuilt with many new parts. Of course, those are important tools and not not just for museum display or historical preservation.

The 5161 Extender card will work in the 5150, 5155, and the 5160 64-256k board but not the 256-640k board. (if your 5155 was upgraded to the 256-640k then = SOL)
The 5161 DOES INDEED work with the 5155 with the 640K mod.. I know this because I used to have a 5161 connected to my 5155. The 640K mod was done very early on then the 5161 was added later and worked perfectly. I think the issue with the newer 640K Motherboards was in the BIOS

Are you sure about the 5155? As far as I know the 640KB upgrade is an unofficial mod, there is no official 640KB IBM 5155 MB. So why would IBM list it as incompatible w/ the 5161?

I just mentioned that because the 5155 would have been a good candidate to upgrade with a late model motherboard with more memory, would have saved a slot in that very limited expansion area. IBM does not list the 5155 as incompatible but it would be if you stuck a 256-640k motherboard in it.

The 5161 DOES INDEED work with the 5155 with the 640K mod.. I know this because I used to have a 5161 connected to my 5155. The 640K mod was done very early on then the 5161 was added later and worked perfectly. I think the issue with the newer 640K Motherboards was in the BIOS

I was making a reference to the late model 256-640k motherboard as mentioned in the IBM manual as it could have been used as a drop-in replacement in the 5155 thus rendering it incompatible with the extender card.

If you replace the dashboard on a 1965 Mustang because it's become cracked and peeled, it's not technically an original Mustang any longer. People (collectors) understand that some of the pieces may have been replaced by new old stock.

With a 5161, there are no serial numbers and even the pieces within the expansion unit probably changed from time to time.

As for the price, if BettaBlue decided to sell his expansion unit, even though he only paid about $200 for it, what about the time and research he spent to restore it? Maybe an $800-$1000 figure is not that out of line for someone who spent the time and effort to "cobble" it. He may not get his asking price, but he can ask.

It is mine.

My fault - I just figured with all the questions I've been asking about the drives, cards and 5161 for the past 3 months, that everyone knew that.

Sorry. Megalomania will do that to you. :p

I built a pristine 5161 and had the case professionally restored. I am keeping that one.

I also had enough parts to build an equally nice 5161 internally, but not as attractive cosmetically, so I put it on eBay

I may end up lowering the price over the next few weeks, but we'll see what happens.

As far as the serial numbers matching that's for the extreme picky collector trying to validate it's the box that it really came in. I personally don't care, a boxed unit is a boxed unit. Nice to sit on a shelf and protect the unit when not in use and to show off the advertisements the company was using to entice the buyer. A working system IMO is worth much more than all original parts. Whether it was repaired or expanded upon, those are just extras you're getting for free.

Ole, thanks... You hit the nail on the head! While my own expansion unit is historically correct, would it be worth any less because the unit had to be put together from several different sources? Yes, absolutely! If all of the correct parts are there, vs. different controllers, hard disk drives, and even an upgraded power supply, would there be a huge difference? I personally do think so. That sort of dilligence in the refurbishment process should be rewarded. I also believe the value of a good refurbishing will be less than a fully documented original, but still higher than one with incorrect parts. With that in mind, I would not expect to get full price for mine if I were to sell it. At the same time, I would expect it to sell for much higher than a mismatched expansion unit. That should prove to be the norm for any vintage project.

Correction:
Thank Stone. I guess I was looking at the wrong one. Maybe we are on track with our thinking. If the seller doesn't get any bids, I wonder how for they will lower they will go.

You've hit an interesting point. :) I think it is rare to find someone with a genuine curatorial interest - though obviously there are a few. Most people put together anything that suits them and are quite happy with machines that are not historically genuine and often not even likely.

I do agree with you that the seller should have come clean in this case. (Good bit of sleuthing, by the way.)

Last edited:
:lol: Maybe the people who read every thread, but I don't think that everyone did (I didn't, though I haven't been here long...), since it wasn't mentioned in your first post on the thread. :)

It is mine.

My fault - I just figured with all the questions I've been asking about the drives, cards and 5161 for the past 3 months, that everyone knew that.

Well, I did get an offer from someone to pay $250 plus a working 5155 with a case. I may have to do it. I have never even seen a 5155 in person. He says it's in good shape and he is local.....

Back