• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 5162 mainboard BIOS

Denniske1976

Experienced Member
Hey guys,

So... I've got this IBM XT-286 mainboard here and it's got some kind of custom AMI BIOS ROM chips on it, at least they don't look original to me. Does anyone know what BIOS chips were used on this board? Was it the normal 5170 BIOS (1st rev or 2nd rev) or something, or did this thing have it's own BIOS?

Here's "da mobo":
286mobo-01.jpg

Here's the BIOS chips:
286mobo-03.jpg

And this is what I get when I boot the thing (just board with keyboard and MDA card, I don't have an XT-286 yet):
286mobo-05.jpg

I can't find too much about it online, it took me some time to even find out it was an XT-286 mainboard :oops:

Y'all have a good one now :)

There was only 1 original bios released for the XT 286 It might be a compatible AMI bios that works in the 5170, If you can dump them, you / i / Someone could compare to the ones on Modem7's site.

Also be aware that the original IBM PC/XT 286 BIOS expects the IBM AT floppy/harddisk controller card. Unless you can get hold of one of those, then I recomend sticking with the AMI-one. The AMI BIOS might wery well support things like IDE, which the original IBM BIOS does not.

Everything sounds perfect to me? Why change it?
I always replace the IBM BIOSes because starting with the AT they began to lock out certain aftermarket modifications.

Thanx for the info guys. I do intend to keep the AMI chips on board... was just wondering if it was stock or what's supposed to be there. I don't have an XT-286 but I'm starting to think I've accidentally scrapped one years ago without knowing :oops:

Somehow I have a 20MB harddisk with an AT sticker on (ST-225 like the later 5160 has, but with an AT sticker), and also this mainboard with indeed the AT floppy/hdd controller (three of them) and a black 5.25" drive half height in an enclosure but without the * on the drive.

So if I ever find a case....

Back