• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 5170 led/key front panel

Jaginus

Experienced Member
Hi all,

I am in the need to build a led/key front panel for my IBM 5170 (the one that holds the key and the two led, screwed to the chassis). Got the machine for free :) many years ago and have been in storage since, after a short period of use. It never have the panel and is the only thing missing in a superb machine that still works flawlessly, requiring only a power source recap (given its age, and not because a fault).

I have been searching (a lot, believe me) for the sizes of the panel, so I could try to 3D print it. I have no access to any other panel to measure it. Also searched in the main 3D-printing sites (thingiverse and others, even github) to see if someone created it before, without success.

Could you guys point me out in the right direction?. Do you know if there is any manual (read all available manuals, hope didn't miss it) with the measures or, even better, the 3D-files to be 3D-printed somewhere?.

I really appreciate your time reading this message. Any help would be much appreciated.
Jose

Hi, booboo

Thank you so much for the hint. It seems that someone 3D printed it !!. Good news.

The good part of this is that I already got one from one of the members (modem7): an original one. I cannot wait to install it on my 5170.

Thanks again for the hint.

Hi all,
A short message to thank @JohnElliott regarding the IBM 5170 front panel. It took me some time (as I live in the UK and the most part of my goods are in Spain, in storage), but today I definitely installed the piece John Elliott kindly handed to me some months ago. It makes a huge difference, as you could see:
Before.jpgAfter_panel.jpg

I really appreciate al responses regarding this issue and only hope being able to return your kindness and support. Now my 5170 rests complete waiting for a previous in-depth diagnostic and some restoration and love :) . I used in at home to do stuff from work around 1992 (writing EDI code for the automotive industry, using that clunky DC600A cartridges to move information between work and home) and has not been turned on at least during the last 20+ years.

It contains:

HDDs: WD262A + ST-225
QIC Tape drive controlled by a SIGEN 4044
Serial card
Intel mem expansion card with 4 MB (and space for 4 MB more)
SYSGEN PSA 1030 Controller
ARCNet PC130 (from the times when I had an ArcNet at home. Still have the hub + more cards)
LONGSHINE MICROSYSTEM, INC. LCS-6622/W Controller

Thanks again to all that attended my desperate call for the front piece and also to those that read my message,
Jose

When the AT was first released it was slightly cool to have one of those barrel keys on your keychain, at least at my workplace in San Diego for those lucky enough to be issued with an AT. Perhaps as a result they seem to very hard to find now.
I used to work in the UK/EU auto industry, at least in the area of equipment suppliers. We provided automated engine test cells to many of the big manufacturers.

When the AT was first released it was slightly cool to have one of those barrel keys on your keychain, at least at my workplace in San Diego for those lucky enough to be issued with an AT. Perhaps as a result they seem to very hard to find now.
I used to work in the UK/EU auto industry, at least in the area of equipment suppliers. We provided automated engine test cells to many of the big manufacturers.
Thanks for your kind message. Parallel lives I see here :)
I got the computer for free, as an old friend worked at an IBM repair centre and "provided" me with some repaired and defective parts (such as the box).

With time, I'll try to change the lock or hope a friend could cut me a key that eventually works.

Thanks for your kind message. Parallel lives I see here :)
I got the computer for free, as an old friend worked at an IBM repair centre and "provided" me with some repaired and defective parts (such as the box).

With time, I'll try to change the lock or hope a friend could cut me a key that eventually works.
I found a lock on Amazon that fits perfectly and works with the built-in switch. It would have cost more to have a new key made for the original lock than to replace the lock if you want I can give you a link to the replacement lock that I got that works it is also a tubular lock the only difference is that it's not a dull finish but it looks fine. I wish there was a way to get another one of the actual plastic things that slides in that has the logos and stuff on it I messed mine up when I was taking it out to remove the lock.

Thanks sorphin. Please send me the link here. I'll still have to investigate some good hardware stores that I know if they have something similar. We'll never get an "IBM" labelled pair of keys...

Could only purchase it from the USA. Anyway, I would investigate in hardware stores, as the key only turns 1/4 (90 degrees). Thanks for the link ;-)

Back