• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 7534 EGA Industrial Monitor (Pictures)

EddieDX4

Veteran Member
I was asked a while back to post pictures of my IBM EGA Industrial monitor. I finally got around to take some pictures, so I'm posting them on here for reference...

The monitor is paired to my Tandy 1000 TL/2 with an EGA card. I had Flight Simulator 4.0 running in 640x350 EGA mode in the background.

Due to the use of flash, it's difficult to see that the monitor has a flat glass filter (removable) via "allen key" type industrial screws, which not only protects the screen but also filters the image so it doesn't strain your eyes. It gives the image a nice, smooth hue (almost a cool color/bluish hue).

Anyway, here goes...

IMG_0528.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0467.jpg

Very nice looking monitor. :) It looks like it has a flat top - probably the most important design criterion for practical use of any electronics.

Very nice looking monitor. :) It looks like it has a flat top - probably the most important design criterion for practical use of any electronics.

Yes it does... And although I moved it during the "photoshoot", my D-Link wireless router generally resides on top of it... Quite nicely, I should add. :)

Cool! Reminds me of an old canning factory I used to visit in Greece where they use vintage equipment through today.

Not only do you have an EGA monitor, but you have an IBM one. Not only an IBM one, but an industrial, likely very rare, one. You're so damn lucky to have come across that however you did! :O

Not only do you have an EGA monitor, but you have an IBM one. Not only an IBM one, but an industrial, likely very rare, one. You're so damn lucky to have come across that however you did! :O

The weird thing is, I came across that monitor immediately after I received one that suffered a shipping catastrophie. I was in the process of dealing with the seller for that one (honest seller, thankfully), when this one popped up in one of my eBay automatic daily searches. It was a bit on the pricey side, but I really wanted it so I got it. It came in its original box, however, the box was really really beat up (it looked like it had been in a warehouse for ages). I had to throw it away as it was an eyesore. The monitor, however, was in perfect shape.

It's a lot brighter than its perceived in the pictures. The camera auto-adjusts the exposure time to compensate for the flash, which makes any other lightsources seem dimmer than they are.

I really like the contrast between the orange power button and the case's dark grey'ish color. Nice touch by IBM...

I was watching - and bidding upon - both of those auctions... just that it got too rich for my blood :) I was glad to see when you won them, however - they went to a good home!

EddieDX4,

Quick question, on the bottom of your NIB monitor right under the screen there is a rectangular space. Is yours blank or is there something in there? Also is your picture perfectly square in EGA graphics mode? Thanks!

EddieDX4,

Quick question, on the bottom of your NIB monitor right under the screen there is a rectangular space. Is yours blank or is there something in there? Also is your picture perfectly square in EGA graphics mode? Thanks!

Funny that I just realized you had asked a question, after months... Just noticed it while re-living this thread... Which, by the way, made me kind of "sigh" with a bit of nostalgic sadness, but also glad that it will be going to a good home.

To answer your question... If I remember correctly, that rectangular area is the model number label. I can confirm tonight, but I'm pretty sure that it has the typical IBM Model/Type information. It isn't blank.

Also, in EGA mode it is as square as an EGA monitor is capable of displaying at that resolution. There is a knob in the back to adjust the vertical height, as I recall, so you can make it square (which will display more of the scanlines), or condensed into a rectangle with a higher density/no scanlines type of display.... Is that what you meant?

Funny that I just realized you had asked a question, after months... Just noticed it while re-living this thread... Which, by the way, made me kind of "sigh" with a bit of nostalgic sadness, but also glad that it will be going to a good home.

To answer your question... If I remember correctly, that rectangular area is the model number label. I can confirm tonight, but I'm pretty sure that it has the typical IBM Model/Type information. It isn't blank.

Also, in EGA mode it is as square as an EGA monitor is capable of displaying at that resolution. There is a knob in the back to adjust the vertical height, as I recall, so you can make it square (which will display more of the scanlines), or condensed into a rectangle with a higher density/no scanlines type of display.... Is that what you meant?

Hey better late then never ;) Thanks!

Back