• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Ibm as/400

Hey, newb member here, but anyways, I got a Model 150 too. It's great (even at V4R5); I love the OS, rock solid, and design wise way ahead of its time. Integrated DB, lots and lots of built-in command help. Relatively simple to maintain and feed. The nice thing about the 150 is even at V4R5, the licensing for software features isn't enabled so one can do a lot of different things on it. It may not have the latest web code or the latest RPG dev tools but otherwise you can run a whole business on it, if you can program it. The last business I worked with switched from twinax to ethernet finally so I inherited a bunch of twinax controllers, cables, adapters, etc. BTW, you don't need the full twinax cable if you can get the baluns (adapters) that let you use RJ11 or RJ45 cabling instead. The baluns aren't that expensive ($20-30) and it's way easier to run RJ11 or RJ45 port to port. The 150 always comes with a twinax brick and all you need is the baluns to convert to RJ. Get a pair ($50) for your twinax console; then get an ethernet IOP and you run ethernet with Client Access Express. Works great.

Of course, it'd be nice to have a newer box at V6Rx but I'll have to save the dollars for that.....

...The 150 always comes with a twinax brick...
Hmmm, not so. My 150 doesn't have twinax at all. I've got an old laptop using client access as the console that is connected via a special console comms cable.

I'm hoping to get my 150 back up and running soon. One of the disks failed a while back and I did little with it. That is until this week when we decommissioned an old 9406-720 at work that just happend to contain 62 of the same model of disk!

...Of course, it'd be nice to have a newer box at V6Rx but I'll have to save the dollars for that.....
Or just wait another decade or 2 for the current boxes to become redundant/vintage. LOL.

Last edited:
ahh, then you're probably got one of the 0393/0394 server models. In any event, I've found at least for the V4 OS version, it's just been easier to use the twinax (not to mention a tad cheaper). OTH, if I could get V5R1 or R2 to run on it without having to reload every 72 days, then I could use the console cable with Ops Nav. But I don't have keys for V5Rx so I'm SOL. That's the problem with any of the newer older gear, it's getting all the software LICs at a reasonable cost for me. I think with all the stuff I want vs. stuff I need, there's a big price difference vs. what I can afford.

Back