• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM AS400 Operating System Tapes - As they worth anything?

Syclops

Experienced Member
I've got 8 IBM AS400 QIC-525 & QIC-120/150 Tapes from 1995, but I don't think I've got a complete set, and I know nothing about AS400 or if there is even any Data left on these, but are they something that is hard to come by, and might be worth someone's time to take a look at?

IBM OPERATING SYSTEM/400 V3 01 of 04
IBM OPERATING SYSTEM/400 V3 02 of 04
IBM OPERATING SYSTEM/400 V3 04 of 04
IBM AS/400 MAPICS XA 01 of 04
IBM AS/400 MAPICS XA 02 of 04
IBM AS/400 MAPICS XA 03 of 04
IBM AS/400 MAPICS XA 04 of 04
IBM AS/400 Cumulative PTFS 03 of 04

I've got 8 IBM AS400 QIC-525 & QIC-120/150 Tapes from 1995, but I don't think I've got a complete set, and I know nothing about AS400 or if there is even any Data left on these, but are they something that is hard to come by, and might be worth someone's time to take a look at?

IBM OPERATING SYSTEM/400 V3 01 of 04
IBM OPERATING SYSTEM/400 V3 02 of 04
IBM OPERATING SYSTEM/400 V3 04 of 04
IBM AS/400 MAPICS XA 01 of 04
IBM AS/400 MAPICS XA 02 of 04
IBM AS/400 MAPICS XA 03 of 04
IBM AS/400 MAPICS XA 04 of 04
IBM AS/400 Cumulative PTFS 03 of 04

I suspect that you do have a full set of OS tapes and 03 of 04 is actually part of the OS....

As for Value, well you don't have an AS/400 so pretty much useless to you, and so worthless to you. Not sure if you need and install key to install. If so they may be useless to any one. If they fon't need a key then useful to any one with an AS/400 with no OS and no install tapes. Not many of those around. I think you might struggle to find a buyer at all..

They all require an active license with IBM, so while you could install them, it won't function without a license.

Unless you have a baby AS/400, aka model 150, in which case you can install OS/400 up to version v4r5 without the need for a licence :)

EDIT, I'm not condoning unlicensed use of software, just starting the fact!

EDIT2, so long as the AS/400, iSeries, System-i, whatever, supports the level of OS available to you, it should function in an unlicensed state for a grace period. That's often the state a disaster recovery test machine will operate in.

Last edited:
OK thanks, that is what I needed to know. I'll just degauss the Tapes and sell them. Thanks again.

Please don't just wipe the tapes and sell them as used tapes ... You probably could do just a little more advertising to find the right buyer. Once the data is obliterated it can't be undone.

Please don't just wipe the tapes and sell them as used tapes ... You probably could do just a little more advertising to find the right buyer. Once the data is obliterated it can't be undone.

Well the thing is, I don't even know if there is Data still on them. These were given to me about 20 years ago, and they have just been sitting in a box in the garage.

I have the MaynStream 525Q External Tape Drive that they went in, but when I fired it up yesterday to test the tapes, I found that some of the Rubber Rollers inside the Tape Drive had deteriorated into a sticky goo and it screwed the Tape Drive up.

If anyone wants them, that would be fine, but it is a total crap shoot just to be clear.

Whats a QIC150 worth? Might be worth a cent or two more as AS/400 tapes...

.. also can you degaus a qic 150 don't they have an aluminium plate on the back? ...

I just looked again, the AS400 Tapes I have are all QIC-525. Good point about the aluminum plate, maybe I'll just have to Microwave them, lol

Well the thing is, I don't even know if there is Data still on them. These were given to me about 20 years ago, and they have just been sitting in a box in the garage.

I have the MaynStream 525Q External Tape Drive that they went in, but when I fired it up yesterday to test the tapes, I found that some of the Rubber Rollers inside the Tape Drive had deteriorated into a sticky goo and it screwed the Tape Drive up.

If anyone wants them, that would be fine, but it is a total crap shoot just to be clear.

Gooy rollers are a problem but some have fixed. Metal in microwaves is not a good idea, for the microwave, stick them in "for sale"/"wanted" sections.

Back