• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM Blue Lightning software for Upgrade Module

Anonymous Coward

Veteran Member
I just purchased an interesting upgrade module for 386DX systems from a company called "I/O Data", which I believe only sells in Asia. This product uses the IBM BL3-75MHz clock tripled CPU. I am wondering if there is any generic control software for the Blue Lightning like there is for the Cyrix chips to control the L1 cache, clock multiplier settings, etc.

If possible I would much rather operate the chip in 2x33MHz or 2x40MHz mode.

Why did this get bumped to "General Off Topic"? I post 386 and 486 related questions on this forum all the time. Is this not vintage enough or something?

I just purchased an interesting upgrade module for 386DX systems from a company called "I/O Data", which I believe only sells in Asia. This product uses the IBM BL3-75MHz clock tripled CPU. I am wondering if there is any generic control software for the Blue Lightning like there is for the Cyrix chips to control the L1 cache, clock multiplier settings, etc.
There is bound to be, as the IBM SLC/DLC CPU register settings are pretty well documented (this is acually the same part as used for the IBM 486SLC3, set in a 32-bit mode). A close equivalent would be http://www.gilanet.com/ohlandl/CPU/8570_DLC2_Upgrade.html (there is a utility download on that page). Looking around for more will have to wait about a week for me.

If possible I would much rather operate the chip in 2x33MHz or 2x40MHz mode.
Not possible...

Okay, if you can find some documentation or other information that would be great. I will gladly wait.

...but are you absolutely certain the multiplier cannot be changed? I have heard from numerous PS/2 sources that the DLC2 and DLC3 are infact exactly the same CPU. This module even has a special "turbo" mode that lets you run it in 4X. It's a weird double clock doubling trick. I haven't had a chance to examine it more closely yet. My upgrade module supports 3X and 4X modes for certain, but I haven't seen anything for setting it up at 2X.

Why did this get bumped to "General Off Topic"? I post 386 and 486 related questions on this forum all the time. Is this not vintage enough or something?

Sorry .. the guideline for ontopic in the PCs area generally excludes 386s and 486s - they are fairly modern 32 bit processors.

The movement of posts is spotty because I'm generally the only person doing it.

Back