• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM EGA adapter problem

You must be right. No beeps at all, so the mem must be ok.
It's a level-of-confidence thing. The self-test in the IBM EGA card is crude. It is not going to detect certain kinds of failures. So, mikey99's suggestion of using the IBM diagnostics diskette is what you should use if you want to be very confident that there is no problem in your IBM EGA card.

It's a level-of-confidence thing. The self-test in the IBM EGA card is crude. It is not going to detect certain kinds of failures. So, mikey99's suggestion of using the IBM diagnostics diskette is what you should use if you want to be very confident that there is no problem in your IBM EGA card.

I will try it when i manage to transfer files somehow, my usb-rs232 adapter is crappy (i guess, ordered better, not arrived yet) and it just hangs to "Loading bootstrap" when i try to do "remote install" in Laplink. I have tried v3 and v5 of LL and few other programs, like FastLynx which support that. All of them just hang to the step where modern comp should be uploading the LLx.EXE or whatever program i try. 5150 hangs totally (hw reset required) and the host just tells me "connection lost" or something. After rebooting the 5150 i sometimes find some 0byte, few-byte and .BAT files transferred to it. I also have very old version of Laplink 2.16 on my 5150 and same on modern comp, but they cant connect either. I have tried with old programs with dosbox and even made a virtual winXP machine on virtualbox but always the same story.
I have tested the 5150 port with Checkit 3.0 and loopback adapter. Port seems fine.

Last edited:
I will try it when i manage to transfer files somehow, my usb-rs232 adapter is crappy (i guess, ordered better, not arrived yet) and it just hangs to "Loading bootstrap" when i try to do "remote install" in Laplink. I have tried v3 and v5 of LL and few other programs, like FastLynx which support that. All of them just hang to the step where modern comp should be uploading the LLx.EXE or whatever program i try. 5150 hangs totally (hw reset required) and the host just tells me "connection lost" or something. After rebooting the 5150 i sometimes find some 0byte, few-byte and .BAT files transferred to it. I also have very old version of Laplink 2.16 on my 5150 and same on modern comp, but they cant connect either. I have tried with old programs with dosbox and even made a virtual winXP machine on virtualbox but always the same story.
I have tested the 5150 port with Checkit 3.0 and loopback adapter. Port seems fine.
Have you tried using 720K sized disks in a 1.44M drive connected to the IBM floppy controller in the 5150 ?
Details [here].

Have you tried using 720K sized disks in a 1.44M drive connected to the IBM floppy controller in the 5150 ?
Details [here].

Nope. I don't have those disks nor the drive or another computer with floppy drive controller to copy files, and this is kind of challenge to me to get that Laplink (or some other) Remote Install to work ;D And i see there is something wrong somewhere because it's not working, so if it's broken - i'm gonna fix it =)..and same time i wanna learn how to do this properly in future. I haven't heard of that remote install feature before, wish i had :)

I already knew about that option cause i had 720k drive in my XT loong time ago.. or was it 1.44 not sure. Had to use driver.sys if i remember correctly =)

I have already ordered all stuff i can imagine which can be the problem, parallel and serial laplink cables, 2x usb-rs232 adapters with different chipsets (just in case;) and PCI-E card with parallel and 2x serial. Maybe a bit waste of money but they take so long to arrive from China or wherever i got them cheap so i don't wanna just try out them one by one and wait a month between. Those are stuff i need to other things too later so not totally a waste.

My Paradise EGA controller arrived, installed it and everything is working perfectly, no corrupted graphics in games, checkit passes mem test fine.. So when i get to test that the IBM EGA adapter works, i will trade it for something (8-bit PC stuff mainly) if someone's interested =) No daughtercard tho, or i would use it by myself =). It has one jumpwire soldered in it because i had to fix that broken PCB with it :/

Just received a new CH340 usb-rs232 adapter, it is not working either, it doesn't do anything. That PL2303 even somehow connected to the 5150 :(

I read from someone's site (minuszerodegrees): "Note: A serial Laplink cable is a particular type of null modem cable. For this procedure, you can only use that cable - not any null modem cable will do."

Can that be the problem?
Whole time i was trying to use normal null modem "cable", actually a 9pin to 25pin adapter which i rewired to be a "null modem".

Where i can find wiring for this correct serial laplink cable? All i found was normal null modem cables and that thing never even crossed my mind that it is not using normal cable, what's even the point in that, or they just wanted to sell proprietary cables and make easy money? ....

I will try that "serial laplink cable" if i figure out how to make one, if it's not working with that either then i maybe have to go dumpster diving and try to find that old comp which has "real" serial port... My apartment is the size of a shipping container so i really can't store much stuff here, no matter how much i want to =)

I must admit that this is getting a bit frustrating and even expensive to get those files transferred.. :|

Just received a new CH340 usb-rs232 adapter, it is not working either, it doesn't do anything. That PL2303 even somehow connected to the 5150 :(

I read from someone's site (minuszerodegrees): "Note: A serial Laplink cable is a particular type of null modem cable. For this procedure, you can only use that cable - not any null modem cable will do."

Can that be the problem?
Whole time i was trying to use normal null modem "cable", actually a 9pin to 25pin adapter which i rewired to be a "null modem".
That thing never even crossed my mind that it is not using normal cable.

Where i can find wiring for this correct serial laplink cable?
http://www.mcamafia.de/mcapage0/xmdcable.htm - i found this, is this the correct wiring?

I will try that "serial laplink cable" if i figure out how to make one, if it's not working with that either then i maybe have to go dumpster diving and try to find that old comp which has "real" serial port... My apartment is the size of a shipping container so i really can't store much stuff here, no matter how much i want to =)

I must admit that this is getting a bit frustrating and even expensive to get those files transferred.. :|

Last edited:
My CH340 works for FastLynx 3, but not for Laplink.

Can that be the problem?
That thing never even crossed my mind that it is not using normal cable.
Well, it will be one cause.

Even if you create a serial Laplink cable, I still think that the CH340 (or any other USB/serial adapter) will be a problem for Laplink.
Laplink worked when I switched to using the serial port on my modern motherboard.

Where i can find wiring for this correct serial laplink cable?
The serial version of the Laplink cable is the same serial cable used for FastLynx and Intersvr/Interlnk.

There are many pinouts on the Internet.
One is at http://pinouts.ru/SerialPortsCables/laplink_cable_pinout.shtml

My CH340 works for FastLynx 3, but not for Laplink.

Well, it will be one cause.

Even if you create a serial Laplink cable, I still think that the CH340 (or any other USB/serial adapter) will be a problem for Laplink.
Laplink worked when I switched to using the serial port on my modern motherboard.

The serial version of the Laplink cable is the same serial cable used for FastLynx and Intersvr/Interlnk.

There are many pinouts on the Internet.
One is at http://pinouts.ru/SerialPortsCables/laplink_cable_pinout.shtml

I tried to disconnect the DCD pin 1 according to that link i found but didn't change anything.. Also tried with both, fastlynx and laplink.
Guess i just have to wait for these to arrive:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330850744131 "PCI-E PCI Express Serial RS232 + Parallel LPT Card"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120972584997 "9 25 PIN FEMALE TO FEMALE LAPLINK SERIAL CABLE LEAD WIRE"

..and hope they work and if not, i go get old laptop which still has serial port on motherboard.

Last edited:
Back