• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

IBM Extender Card

SpidersWeb

Veteran Member
I purchased a 5161 in mint condition with sender/receiver cards, and have a 62 pin cable coming from the US right now.
But unfortunately one of the cards turned out to be a serial board! So I'm kind of stuck.

Does anyone have an Extender card laying about to save my hopes and dreams?

PayPal payment, and I have a freight forwarder in the US and UK.

I am in the same boat, it's frustrating having the unit and not being able to use it, if I come up with a solution, then I'll let you know.

I am in the same boat, it's frustrating having the unit and not being able to use it, if I come up with a solution, then I'll let you know.

It's sad, have to start scouring eBay for PC's and XT's looking to find systems that just might have a card in it. A few years ago I looked at the possibility of modernizing what it would take to connect an expansion unit but it never gained enough traction.

Yeah I'd be keen to know if you find a solution lutiana.
Ideally I'd like it to respond/look/behave as if it was genuine.

This 5161 (except for a little bit of paint damage on top) is pristine and still bright white. So I'm eager to get it operational,

Why can't replica cards be made? The schematics are documented.

I thought it was the availability of certain components or lack there of was the problem and no one wanted to design a PGC (is that the right term?) for it.

As I understand it, the only hard to get component would be the 62 pin connector, the rest is all standard and easily available logic chips.

It's sad, have to start scouring eBay for PC's and XT's looking to find systems that just might have a card in it. A few years ago I looked at the possibility of modernizing what it would take to connect an expansion unit but it never gained enough traction.

I think there would be enough people with XT's and PC's to warrant one being made. Cost prohibitive, but beggers cant be choosers.

worst case scenario, but would not a "newer" connector be better?

VHDCI scsi cables are cheap, plentiful, and probably better shielded than what was used before.

worst case scenario, but would not a "newer" connector be better?

VHDCI scsi cables are cheap, plentiful, and probably better shielded than what was used before.

But then you'd have to not only build a new extender card, but the receiver card (which most people do have) as well.

you could cut the end off and wire it to the old connector. If you are going through the hassle of making one card, you might as well make both ends.

For me I'd prefer to stick as original as I possibly can - including the cable. But that's just me, and I only need that one particular part.

But I do think there is potential for more than just a cable swap in the future - possibly even removing the wait state and making it generic so it can extend any ISA bus.

Crisis averted, seller found it and is offering it for a great price (which I'm happy to pay since the mistaken card was a genuine IBM serial adapter anyway).
No longer require a card, but anyone who is thinking of remaking these cards in whatever form - I do encourage it, because there is obviously more people in this situation.

Back